Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I m eed a cheep battery pack that will run a heater with Dollar store batteries. Can anyone help?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he put 14 cheep Dollar Store 9V batteries in series (126V) on his tongue and thought they are powerful.

Shocking, very shocking.

Ron

A shock is felt on skin. Is there skin on your tongue?
Like a few other times in my life, a moment ago I "tasted" a 9V battery. It was an odd sensation, almost tingling on my tongue. It did not feel hot but maybe it felt warm. It had a bitter taste. Don't try 126V on your tongue.

A shock is felt on skin.

A shock can be felt anywhere that there are the appropriate sensory neurons. Indeed, electrical stimulation of nerves well upstream of sensory endpoints can also cause discomfort and pain - they can be felt.

Skin is [usually] considered to be the largest organ and I understand why you might think that a shock can only be felt on your skin - sure that is the most common occurrence. How about if I hook up a voltage source to your eyeball, you think you would feel that? How about in your teeth? There are other places that are not dermal.

Is there skin on your tongue?

No, not on mine. Some think I have speakers in my butt though - good stereo. :)

A shock is felt on skin. Is there skin on your tongue?
Like a few other times in my life, a moment ago I "tasted" a 9V battery. It was an odd sensation, almost tingling on my tongue. It did not feel hot but maybe it felt warm. It had a bitter taste. Don't try 126V on your tongue.

It tends to taste 'salty' due to electrolysis of your saliva.

One 9V battery is OK - I wouldn't advise more than that though :D

As for the tongue 'coating' it's certainly very similar to skin, I can't say I've ever considered what exactly it might be?.

Is there skin on your tongue?

It depends on your definition of skin. To avoid the semantic argument, most biologists/anatomy folks talk about epithelial tissue - the outer layer of any organ (and the inner layer for tubular structures). Some are dry and some excrete mucous - depending on the type of epithelial cells on the surface.

PS, "skin" is part of the "integumentary system" which is commonly identified as the heaviest organ in many trivia games.

No, it does not. There is no semantic argument at play.

You should tell the Cleveland Clinic that published an article that states, psoriasis can occur on any skin including that of the mouth and
tongue.

Or the Mayo Clinic that says, skin tags can occur on any area of the skin including the tongue and intestine.

I could go on but I'll let you use your own Googler and creatively search skin and tongue combinations. I understand that you don't like the use of the word "skin" for the surface of the tongue but, that is why I prefaced my answer with, it depends on your definition of skin. Don't shoot the messenger.

Also, one definition of skin in Webster is "the outer surface of a structure".

Guys, lets keep it civil.

Squabbling posts deleted.

JimB

Content deleted by author - after a discussion with a Mod a few days ago, it is clear that...it is what it is and will not be changing anytime soon.

Last edited:
It tends to taste 'salty' due to electrolysis of your saliva.
Naw, taste like chicken. :)

Bottom line is 14 9 volt batteries will yield about 126 VDC when placed in series but no current to speak of to power a heater.

Ron

I do not agree with either Moderator (must be the first time ;)). I thought it was the most revealing thread I have been part of in a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back