Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I beated two kids and i feel awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, don't get me wrong, I am all for defending oneself and would not hesitate if someone was jeopardizing my well being, but I hardly think Alpha was in jeopardy as he has described the situation.

He stated he was twice the size of the would be assailants, surely he could have handled these ruffians without assaulting their faces.

I dunno, I just don't get the opposition that I am receiving. At any rate, I will live my life as I see it should be lived and I will follow a code of conduct that I was raised by, and will conduct myself accordingly.

Perhaps my thinking goes against the grain and poses a splinter in your beliefs, but I feel the way I do and I have given my opinion. Like it or not.

Look, don't get me wrong, I am all for defending oneself and would not hesitate if someone was jeopardizing my well being, but I hardly think Alpha was in jeopardy as he has described the situation.

He stated he was twice the size of the would be assailants, surely he could have handled these ruffians without assaulting their faces.

I dunno, I just don't get the opposition that I am receiving. At any rate, I will live my life as I see it should be lived and I will follow a code of conduct that I was raised by, and will conduct myself accordingly.

Perhaps my thinking goes against the grain and poses a splinter in your beliefs, but I feel the way I do and I have given my opinion. Like it or not.

Mike,
I think you are missing the point, the debate isn't aimed at you personally, its about what different people would do in a similair situation.

I neither like or dislike your opinion, but I do respect it.:)

We are all conditioned by our environment to do certain things in certain circumstances, based on our experience.

What I have seen of these yobs, beating up and killing innocent people for no reason whatsoever, I would use all the force I could muster to put them down.

Mike,
I think you are missing the point, the debate isn't aimed at you personally, its about what different people would do in a similair situation.

I neither like or dislike your opinion, but I do respect it.:)

We are all conditioned by our environment to do certain things in certain circumstances, based on our experience.

What I have seen of these yobs, beating up and killing innocent people for no reason whatsoever, I would use all the force I could muster to put them down.

I think I am somewhat opening my eyes and realizing that the UK and US have many cultural differences. For me, I am not accustomed to 13 year old thugs as I live in a safe neighborhood. We too have gang bangers and the like, but they have been centralized into specific geographic locations within the city.

Our police have done a great job of offering us a safe place to walk and enjoy recreation. I suppose we have it good in that respect, and I have not considered that other parts of the world may not be so lucky.

Over here it just seems like lately there are a lot of minors involved in murdrers and really trying to take advantage of the fact that they are minors.

I think I am somewhat opening my eyes and realizing that the UK and US have many cultural differences. For me, I am not accustomed to 13 year old thugs as I live in a safe neighborhood. We too have gang bangers and the like, but they have been centralized into specific geographic locations within the city.

Yes, there are certainly great differences, the USA has a MUCH larger problem, and pushing them off to specific locations in a city probably makes the situation worse rather than better.

As a country dweller, it's even safer out here than it is in the UK cities, crime is very low, and no gangs or young thugs.

Mike, after you've done my bads (triggerin them with the "i'll kill you if you touch my cats"), and after you chased them at the third time the did it, only throwing one of them on the floor and then getting a timber on the back of your head, what would you do then?

And by the way, yesterday i went out jogging and on my way back I saw that piece of wood he hit me with, I tried breaking it on my hip for fun, twice, and I just couldnt break it.

Yes, there are certainly great differences, the USA has a MUCH larger problem, and pushing them off to specific locations in a city probably makes the situation worse rather than better.

As a country dweller, it's even safer out here than it is in the UK cities, crime is very low, and no gangs or young thugs.

To quote one of Britain's great Generals.

Air power is indivisible. If you split it up into compartments, you merely pull it to pieces and destroy its greatest asset, its flexibility.

Our city has learned from Monty, we have compartmentalized and now we can control the problem. Perhaps you Brits have forgotten one of your greatest generals words.

I agree with one thing: we certainly have only heard one side of the story.

We've all made several assumptions about the background of the yobs and that alphacat is telling the truth and isn't exaggerating. The children might not have very good parents, in fact that might be as bad so it's probably not worth confronting them.

I don't know where I stand as far as corporal punishment is concerned. I think I'm against it because it's pretty hypocritical to teach kids that violence is wrong and at the same time use is as a form of punishment. I can see the argument that if they get hit they'll probably not do it again but I don't think it works that way; my dad used to hit me until he realised that if I hit him back it hurt.

Not using corporal punishment also teaches self-control. I think my dad used to hit me because he was angry more than to punish me which really sets a very bad example.

In this case I hope the children have learnt a lesson: you hit an adult stranger with a plank of wood and you'll get hit back much harder. I don't see this as corporal punishment because there is no relationship between the adult and the child. I see it as learning to suffer the consequences of your actions.

Last edited:
I agree with one thing: we certainly have only heard one side of the story.

We've all made several assumptions about the background of the yobs and that alphacat is telling the truth and isn't exaggerating. The children might not have very good parents, in fact that might be as bad so it's probably not worth confronting them.

I don't know where I stand as far as corporal punishment is concerned. I think I'm against it because it's pretty hypocritical to teach kids that violence is wrong and at the same time use is as a form of punishment. I can see the argument that if they get hit they'll probably not do it again but I don't think it works that way; my dad used to hit me until he realised that if I hit him back it hurt.

Not using corporal punishment also teaches self-control. I think my dad used to hit me because he was angry more than to punish me which really sets a very bad example.

In this case I hope the children have learnt a lesson: you hit an adult stranger with a plank of wood and you'll get hit back much harder. I don't see this as corporal punishment because there is no relationship between the adult and the child. I see it as learning to suffer the consequences of your actions.

Hero, you are brilliant. :)

Corporal punishment teaches there are consequences for your actions. It's not suppose to be used to vent anger, to cause pain or injury. It's more about power and control, humiliation. Having been banned in most places, we get to enjoy a generation of minors not bound by rules. They do what they want, worst consequence is only a minor inconvenience, which is usually a greater punishment for the parent.

I can see the argument that if they get hit they'll probably not do it again but I don't think it works that way; my dad used to hit me until he realised that if I hit him back it hurt.

Maybe it was your dad that was taught the lesson, not you. Mine was the same way.

Last edited:
Ok guys,
I'll tell what I did today with pesky kids riding their motorbikes on the verge of the front of my farm. It was the same kid as last year too. Last year I took a 14lb hammer and bent the back wheel on his motor bike after I warned him 3 times not to do it. Today my wife went down there and was told to F*** ,off we'll do what we want.

I went down there in my workute which now has a big ding in the front bumperbar and my left hand is bruised after one of them tried to lay a punch on me. Yes they are minors 16 years old, my wife called the police and they came around, took my story then they impounded the bikes and charged the minors with assaulting me. The police are going to contact landcare and those minors(parents) are going to be sued for the damage caused by the bikes. I told the main offender if i saw him doing this again 'no-one will hear you scream out here when I get hold of you'.

Whats the bet they will be back next year where a few traps will be set to defend the property.

Cheers Bryan

P.S. and these kids aint locals either they are from where I call the bronx here in the hills, the local main town.

We have kind riding minimotos down the street, no numberplate, no insurance and no helmet - completely illegal. Most of the time they don't do much harm, they're just a nuisance most of the time.

I was tempted to squirt one with the hose pipe when he rode by but decided against it because he would know where I live and could seek revenge.

If the 'do gooders' have any doubts, check this out.

**broken link removed**

My memory was somewhat correct. Over here, back in may a 15 and 16 year old beat a 50ish woman and man to death in a double murdrer.

I am not sure of the problem. Around here if some under aged kids get to big for their britches they get taken down a notch. Harassing someones pets would get immediate attention from me. :eek:
I admit I liked getting a few high strung rat dogs wound up as a kid but I never intentionally harmed any of them.

Given the situation if a kid of any age hit me on purpose after being verbally warned to stop doing something unacceptable I would have no problem with hitting them right back!

In an assault situation you are fully in you rights to stand your ground and incapacitate your attackers with just cause. Its a you or them situation. If you duck and run it will make them feel superior and thusly they will do it again and do it to more people simply because they can get away with it. A black eye is no big deal. It will heal.

I would have had no problem with knocking heads together and then dragging both of them back to their parents house or to the nearest phone and got the authorities involved immediately!

I have a number of family members that work in the school systems and if some kids known for being trouble makers got rough with another kid or adult and got beat down very little would be made out of it. Even if the parents try and take it to court a judge would look at the kids record and see the problems and then look the other persons and if that person has a clean record the case would immediately be tossed out!;)

Threatening to kill someone is a common threat that comes up under instances of high stress and frustration. Judges know that and dont take that as an actual honest intention, its just verbal posturing. Especially when its been directed a teenage delinquents.
I have threatened to kill my brother thousands of times and he is still alive! He has done the same to me as well! ;)

If you really need to teach them a lesson a cloth bag over the head, and hands tied behind the back, followed by a ride in a trunk and a push and shove game out in the country with a few friends and no words spoken, tends to make a stupid trouble maker think about the consequences of there actions while they get themselves out of the bag and have a nice long walk home!

If you been bagged, roughed up and had no way to see or hear who did it, its pretty hard to accuse someone of doing it! A little honest fear can make a trouble maker think real hard about what they have done to deserve it!

I have never participated in such an event but I know a few who have been on the teaching side and one person who was on the learning side of it before. Scared him strait as I understand it!;)

Too bad you dont live closer, I would have no problem with teaching them a little manners and respect, old fashioned country style!:D

Last edited:
Too bad you dont live closer, I would have no problem with teaching them a little manners and respect, old fashioned country style!:D

They've shown cases where just working with animals like you were raised can calm them down and give them respect by taking care of animals and having direct responsibility to a living creature depending on you for their existance.

First a bond with the animal happens then they learn how dependent the animal is and that it needs attention as well as care in all aspects.

New found respect occurs and sometimes they are changed for life.

I say get their lazy butts up in the morning and crack the wipe until dusk.

kv:)

I was actually leaning towards the bag, beating and long limp home method myself! ;):D
But sure why not get them to pet the cats for a while.:)

Could always pick up a cat and throw it at them, or drop one off a balcony. The kids will find a new respect for cats...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back