Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HVDC Dont understand circuit??

Status
Not open for further replies.

triple_access

i want to work with HVDC, 30k volts and up.

Due to me "not using a load", i don't understand how to turn the ac to dc..

i have used a tv coil with built in diode, and it worked great!!!!! i loved it!!! i was using no load with it. i could hear the air tearing!

so i want to make my own tv coil, not having to tear tv's apart, i really dont like the ideal of using a tv coil.

so my question is, How do you get DC from AC like they did with the TV coil? i am using no load, i have tried diodes rectifiers etc,,, i cant get the dc to come out of the coil without a load, i will not be using a load so this is a problem for me.

can someone help me understand how to connect something to the output of my high voltage transformer to make it high votage DC and "conduct threw the air using no load?"

Thank you.

Last edited:
Safety aside and the required insulation materials needed being ignored, what makes you think it's DC in the first place to produce a spark? (that is what you're trying to do right?) I don't know how a TV coil works so I'm asking.

Maybe your voltage just isn't high enough? ->Safety aside<-

triple_access said:
i want to work with HVDC, 30k volts and up.

Due to me "not using a load", i don't understand how to turn the ac to dc..
Load or No Load ac is ac and dc is dc.

i have used a tv coil with built in diode, and it worked great!!!!! i loved it!!! i was using no load with it. i could hear the air tearing!
Do you mean the coil/eht rectifier was producing a 'corona discharge' around the output?
so i want to make my own tv coil, not having to tear tv's apart, i really dont like the ideal of using a tv coil.
What wrong in using a set up that works??

so my question is, How do you get DC from AC like they did with the TV coil?
You have already answered your own question, use a EHT rectifier'

i am using no load, i have tried diodes rectifiers etc,,,
The way you had it connected in the first test, had no load as you say!

i cant get the dc to come out of the coil without a load,
Come out of where?

i will not be using a load so this is a problem for me.
Why not try using a spark gap and high value resistor to get a discharge.

can someone help me understand how to connect something to the output of my high voltage transformer to make it high votage DC and "conduct threw the air using no load?"
A spark gap and resistor!

Thank you.
hi,
Sorry to sound blunt, but a lot of what you are saying dosn't make much sense.:)

You should take great care when working with EHT, get someone experienced to LOOK at your project and advise you.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back