Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HV stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked

Hello Im new here, but Im not new to electronics. Ive been doing it for a couple years and pretty much know the basics+advanced stuff. Im learning MPUs on my own, but I have a question

I want to build a mini tesla coil or just something that will produce a 2-3 Inch Spark or even a mini Jacobs ladder.

I recently Salvaged a MOT (microwave transformer) and been doing some research on it. They can produce up to 2kV. Note: I will not connect it directly to 120 I have a plan.

Question a: I have 2 44.5V Transformers, that give somewhere around (Im estimating here) 1Amp. If I hook it up like this:

120-44.5 to Resistor to 44.5-120

I would have an isolation transformer correct? But with the resistor It would limit current to a safe level (just in case something bad happens).

Now, Question B: AM I better off Leaving it as a Sine Wave? Or I was thinking of building a transistor oscillator or 555 Timer and power the transformer using a TIP120 (because thats all I got on hand) or make a triangle (sawtooth) generator using opamps and then using the same transistor. Then Could I use MARX or Cockcroft-Walton Voltage multiplier to multiply the voltage? Which one should I use though?

Do they both take in AC and convert it to a DC voltage? If so the marx generator seems better then, so I wont have to waste money on diodes.

Again I want the unit to be semi small, portable, desktop like and produce around a 2 or 3 inch spark (or greater) or a mini jacobs ladder

a MOT and two transformers is going to be anything but small and portable :lol:

Why not just use a neon sign transformer?

Im using what I have on hand....plus my mom dont want anymore junk in the house, unless you know where I could buy one cheap.

It's cool to get an old TV flyback transformer and make an oscillator with two 3055 transistors. Powers off of like 12v, it's relatively safe. Draws an inch or two of spark and doesn't require manual tuning.

The only hitch is is has to be from an OLD TV set. Modern ones have the output diode built into the flyback and that won't work. It can't be removed. The old ones had an external diode in the anode lead, it's obvious- about 2"-3" long and about the thickness of a pencil. Those are easily operated without the diode.

The old black-and-white console TVs used them. I don't know much about the dates but I think it's like 70's when then changed over.

Then you nead a realy big resistor.Since it will have to get rid of a lot of power and all of that power is thrurned to heat.

This also wastes a lot of power.

How about conectng an high inductance coil to make inducatance hold back the curent.Or a capacitor,but you wod need an prety big one.These two methonds hold back the curent and not wasting it as heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back