Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HSERIN SERIN SERIN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
The problem area will be the arctan functions in the PIC.

If you had a directional aerial that had a beam width of 10 degrees, it would mean for a 90 degree quadrant you could use a short Table for the arctan.

So the Table would represent a 90 degree quadrant divided into say 18 sectors [values covering 5 degrees].

Use your Base station as the Datum, so reduce its N, E, to 0,0 and then normalise the received N, E ,GPS data relative to the Dataum 0,0.

This will give a Table pointer for the arctan/ angle.

E

Hi E,

I'm a bit lost when you talk about arctan, although I could do a calculation. I saw you mentioned a PIC which is an 18F series. After a search for which PIC to use, I've almost decided not to use 18F series and stick to the simulator that etc, for 16 series. I have just received 16F886 PICs today. I was hoping to use these.

I can make the aerial to suit the angle, but later. I intend to use 360 degree optical discs for resolution, so can move one degree if necessary.

C

I have to admit to not reading all the posts in this thread but I am a little confused. If you are building an RF tracker why the GPS data?
If you're using GPS data why the RF tracker? - GPS would give the co-ordinates to point at ??
If no GPS you lock onto a signal strength or a particular beacon signal or ub carrier etc etc ...?

Can you tell me what it is you will be tracking, and what the transmitted signal from 'the thing' is.
Also what frequency are we talking here? - It gets more complicated at LF

Paul

hi Paul,
As I understand the App, is that the Remote unit, which can be mobile in someway has a GPS receiver built in.

The Remote transmits its GPS position data back to a Base station using a 'weak' telemetry link, which cannot be always be relied on.
So the Base station has a high gain directional aerial which is automatically pointed in the direction of the Remote,using the received GPS data.

The Remotes GPS position is also used log the position of the Remote as it moves.

Eric

I have to admit to not reading all the posts in this thread but I am a little confused. If you are building an RF tracker why the GPS data?
If you're using GPS data why the RF tracker? - GPS would give the co-ordinates to point at ??
If no GPS you lock onto a signal strength or a particular beacon signal or ub carrier etc etc ...?

Can you tell me what it is you will be tracking, and what the transmitted signal from 'the thing' is.
Also what frequency are we talking here? - It gets more complicated at LF

Paul

Hi Paul,

As well as Eric's answer, where a GPS module sends back NMEA data, allowing the aerial to be aimed, I am hoping that the tracker will also be able to follow satellites as well as they send back NMEA data too. (Eric suggests I stick to one SOURCE for ease of design.) All the aerials are manageable sizes, so no LF.

Camerart.

Are you able to convert C code to basic?? I have math routines for cos, sin, tan, arccos, arcsin and arctan... But they are in C ... I could convert them to basic but it may take a while...

The resolution is to 0.1 degree or 3 decimal places....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back