Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to reset "Child lock" on TV without remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

catalinu

Hello,
I just bought a TV (made by INDTEK for LG, model LT-15BU10) and all controls are locked. When I press any button on the TV it says "Child Lock". I have no remote on it. Is it a way to reset this option? I opened the TV, but no "switch" on the PCB to do a "reset to factory". I can try to find a remote for it, but have no idea what processor it use, because the heater is glued on the processor.

Any advice?
Thanks

You almost certainly need the remote, and also the service manual that hopefully will tell you how to unlock it, however an instruction manual might tell you as well.

Unfortunately the service manual says nothing about this... I already verified. I suppose that "Child lock" apply only on buttons on the TV, not on the remote... I also hope that the remote will solve the problem, but I don't want to spend 50$ for a remote and then to see that the problem is deeper...

Wow, that's a hell of a problem! :eek:

If you leave the TV unplugged for say, overnight, I believe the TV will 'forget' it's memory. Or unplug it AND take out battery in it. It's like a watch battery size.

You could also potentially buy a cheaper universal remote, and use that to turn off the child lock...

Last edited:
hmmm. I left it few days, but nothing... (without food inside... not in TV :), but in fridge, because this is an LG fridge with LCD TV... LSC27990TT)

I just ordered an universal remote (the X10 IconRemote), I will see if it will works...

On many devices, pressing and holding the POWER or START button for 3-5 seconds will set or release a tamper lock.

Oh! And some/many tvs have a universal code that will work, regardless of what code the user set as well. 0000, 1234, 1111, simple things like that...

Plus - maybe the original person set a simple code like that, there are only 9999 possibilities!:D

The buttons on TV are locked (also the soft power button and the menu). I will check the codes when I will receive the remote. If I consider trying one code at each 2 seconds, that means 5 hours and half... Good job for my kids. I hope that it will not definitively lock after x attempts, and I hope also that I will not skip a number... You know, Murphy law: it will be exactly the good one...

I highly doubt the TV will have a permanent lock after x tries. Only my safe does that!

On cracking the code: I would first try easy numbers like 1234, etc. Then do a straight run from 0000 to 9999. Once you get going, you'll get faster.

Trust me, I know... :eek:

This reminds me when a work colleague spent days cracking a combination lock because he didn't have any work to do.

Sorry for delay. Fortunately for me, with the X10 IconRemote works as a charm. A code scan founds a matching code and I was able to get into the menu by remote and to disable the Child lock...

Yay, now you can watch all the violence, p0rn and drug scenes you like. :D

walterpress1970 said:
I have a LG with TV in door, TV power board is fried, looking for replacement TV

walterpress1970, do you realize you just reopened a 1 1/2 year old thread? I strongly recommend you just start a new one. It helps keep everything neat and tidy :D

Regards,
Der Strom

Last edited by a moderator:
Hero:

That takes me about 20 minutes for a simple combo. I developed the algorithm about 30 years ago when I was bored.

KISS, that post was from april of last year :D

Hi All: I have accidentally turned on the child lock feature on my Magnavox 27MS343S and it is stuck in standby. I ordered a replacement remote (**broken link removed**), but it still won't work. Any suggestions? Thank you so very much in advance. TZL.

often, factory default passwords are 0000, 9999, 8888, etc, along with 1234 and 4321 being common. try the ones that would be "shortcut" passwords first before trying the sequential trial and error method. use a modified sequential method i.e. 0001, 9998, 0002, 9997..... this would only be quicker if the actual password is not somewhere around 5000....

a few years ago back sony had one that was S-O-N-Y spelled out on a phone keypad

Last edited:
Actually, what I have inadvertently enabled is the child lock (not parental lock) on my Magnavox 27MS343S as a result of which the front panel is disabled. Now, I can't hit the front panel"power" button manually, and so it stays in a standby mode when plugged in. Since I don't have the remote, I can't access the Menu to disable the child lock. I ordered a replacement remote and also tried a universal remote, but no use. I wonder if these remotes need the TV to be "on" and not on standby to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back