Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make a voltage switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherry

Hey :),
I have recently started learning about Transistors, MOSFETs, and Diodes etc. We are given a circuit with an AC input voltage (50Hz voltage rectifier) and it should give a 9V DC output.
I would appreciate if anyone can brief me on the principles of PNP transistors along with the bridge and zener diode's effects on the output, so I can decide on the transistor and the values of the components in my project.

By the way, I was trying to work with Traxmaker, but could not export a zener diode! What do I do now?

Cheers:)

Last edited:
If a PNP transistor is used as an emitter-follower to buffer the voltage from the zener diode, then the output voltage would be about 9.3V if a 10V zener diode is used. The voltage is negative, which is odd. An NPN emitter-follower would make a positive output voltage.

audioguru said:
If a PNP transistor is used as an emitter-follower to buffer the voltage from the zener diode, then the output voltage would be about 9.3V if a 10V zener diode is used. The voltage is negative, which is odd. An NPN emitter-follower would make a positive output voltage.
AG, what circuit are you referring to?

For safety if you are new to the field use a transformer to step down the mains voltage to 12 volts ac, then experiment with a rectifier and capacitor to get the required voltage.

12 volts ac will give you 16.92 - 1.4 (vdrop diodes) = 15.52 volts across your capacitor.
You can use a LM 317 to get 9 volts or use a voltage divider to bias a zener which can drive a 2 N 3055 transistor to give you the required output
To get 9 volts , zener should be around 9.6 volts, 0.6 v is lost in the base to emitter part to drive the transistor.

You can use a lower transformer voltage if you use the transistor option.
A regualtor like the LM 317 or 7809 will require 3 volts higher at the input to regulate correctly.

Some more to add

Depending upon current drawn by the load, you need to put the regulator or series pass transistor on a good heat sink.
The voltage drop across it times the current through it equals watts dissipated in heat.

say 15.52 volts in, 9 volts out at 1 amp.
difference 6.52 volts x 1 amp is 6.5 Watts!!

That advice by RODALCO is especially true if the transformer output is rated for many amps. The filtered voltage will then stay fairly high and your regulator operates fairly hot.

Last edited:
This is getting a bit complicated!Today my instructor was advising us not to use the AC power supply at first, he said we shall start with a DC and then after we found the values for our components, we can change that to an AC.
Even now I am facing other problems, like how to get the minimize PCB. I am working with the traxmaker to do so, but am not sure how to get the foot prints of the components!

Create the footprints yourself. Have a look at the datasheets and measure them.

Russlk said:
Is there a transformer in the circuit, or is it using pulse width modulation to reduce the input 220 VAC to 9 vDC? What is the load current?

Hey, could u plz check ur email!
Thnx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back