Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to integrate this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petesmc

Hi,

I've an important exam coming up, and just doing some study, but stuck on this problem. I know it's not electronics, but you guys are math geniuses so, how to integrate this:

1 / (x^2 - 4)

I know what the answer is, but i can't seem to figure out how to do it. I even downloaded MuPad to try and get help, but it seems that MuPad just goes straight to the answer and doesn't show any steps.

Thanks in advance,
-Peter

rulezz..

searchin google for math rulez and your subject

wasn't it something whit NX^N-1..???

TKS

udi_hakim said:
You should transform your equation like this:
1/(x^2-4) = 1/(x^2) - (1/ 4) = x^-2 - 0.25
Now you can integrate it (red is the intigration):
-1x^-2+1 - 0.25x = -1x^-1 - 0.25x = -1/x - 1/4x

I also knows physics and bible if you need... 8)
Maybe you should stick to the Bible. :(
1/(x^2-4) does not equal 1/(x^2) - (1/ 4)

According to my CRC handbook, the integral of dx/(x^2-a^2) is

1/(2*a)*ln[(x-a)/(x+a)] where ln is the natural log operator.
In this case, of course, a=2.

There is equivalent form which involves the inverse hyperbolic cotangent :roll: .

Oh ****... to early in the morning or math i guess... thought you ment something else...

1 / (x^2 - 4) = 1 / 4[((x^2) / 4) - 1] = 0.25 * {1 / [((x^2) / 4) -1]} = 0.25 * {1 / ((x/2)^2 - 1)} = - 0.25 * 2 arctg x/2 + c =-0.5arctg(x/2)+c

udi_hakim said:
Oh [bleep]... to early in the morning or math i guess... thought you ment something else...

1 / (x^2 - 4) = 1 / 4[((x^2) / 4) - 1] = 0.25 * {1 / [((x^2) / 4) -1]} = 0.25 * {1 / ((x/2)^2 - 1)} = - 0.25 * 2 arctg x/2 + c =-0.5arctg(x/2)+c
Ok, you've convinced me that you are much better at math than I am. :)
And I'm sure you know the Bible better than I. :oops:
How about the integral I posted? Do you know if it is correct?

Ron H,

Your solution was the correct one, but we have not learnt that integral. Does anyone know in simpler terms how to solve it?

-Peter

ok i figured this out, had to split 1/(x^2 - 4) into 1/(x-2)(x+2) and make partial fractions in the form of:

1/(4(x-2)) - 1/(4(x+2))

Then easy to integrate...thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back