Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to hook up house alarm and cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrorookie

I am sort of a rookie in electronics - hope I did not miss something obvious :)

The short story - I REALLY want to disconnect my local phone service. The only thing I use it for is for my monitored house alarm. Kind of expensive @ $40 / month. :( I use cell for everything else practically.

What I would like to do:

1. Kill the local phone line - discountine the service
2. Buy a pre-paid cell phone and always keep it on charge with UPS power
3. Hook the alarm so if there is a problem - it can use the cell hone to call the monitoring company

This, #3 is what I dunno how to do. Maybe I am using wrong terms to Google this, but all I am coming up with is dialers that can call the cell phone using the land line - not what I want...

Thanks for any suggestions!

electrorookie said:
Well, turns out I answered my own question... after searching more and more...

**broken link removed**

:shock:

holy... looks expensive. make sure you are in the coverage area with that... as in one of the "metro areas in the USA"... also, sounds like there's a monthly fee for that service or something, and it doesn't say if it will contact your cell phone -- just some automated service that you gotta call in or something. (I'd imagine it will contact your cell though). No idea... let us know how it works out.

Cell Phone

Wow- I just saw sumth'n last nite on the news bout 1 of these gadgets. It's a device called Dock-n-Talk (made by PhoneLabs) and it connects yer cell phone to a ordinary corded telephone. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with yer alarm system too. Here's the web sites so U can see it:

**broken link removed**
https://phonelabs.com/universal_cell_phone_docking_sta.htm

They say it allows you to dock your cell phone and use your normal corded or cordless phones to make and receive your cell phone calls. Effectively turns your wireless service into "wired" service while docked. Hopefully, this'll give U a cost-effective alternative.

Cheerz!

BOB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back