Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to create stack overflow/underflow exception ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jani12

I'm programming Infineon TC29x Aurix Tricore Microcontroller based embedded system in 'C' language.

Consider stack starting address 0x5000 0000. The stack size is 0x2000.

If I take current stack pointer minus 0x2000, will that create stack exception? If yes, what might be 'C' or assembly language code that will achieve this?

My thought is if I subtract negative 0x2000 from current stack pointer or add 0x2000 to current stack pointer, I'll be outside stack and stack exception will occur ?

I need to set program counter to illegal address, i.e. 0x00FF FFFC. Can this be done with assembly language instructions?
If yes, please instrument assembly language instruction that would set program counter to 0x00FF FFFC while code is running.

Please disregard following text from my original post:

"I need to set program counter to illegal address, i.e. 0x00FF FFFC. Can this be done with assembly language instructions?
If yes, please instrument assembly language instruction that would set program counter to 0x00FF FFFC while code is running."

I need to set program counter to illegal address, i.e. 0x00FF FFFC. Can this be done with assembly language instructions?
Nothing will happen! There is no illegal address that the PC can get to... If you specify above the PC's count ability, the address will just roll over!

Illegal addresses and instructions are normally associated with kernels and operating systems.. You determine which one is disallowed... You are the only one who knows where not to write!!

You could insert an assembly-language line into your code, something that loads data from an illegal address:
LD.W D[15], bad_address
... you'll need to find what the unimplemented/ unused/forbidden addresses are for yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back