Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to convert BIG Speakers to PC speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can run the output of the headphone jack to the input of an amplifier, then connect the output of the amp to your speakers. Works like a charm..

your computer audio output is just a line signal that have to be amplified to lisen on every speaker availible in the world (the signal is simlpy to weak to drive the speaker it self (regardless the size of the speaker)

if you make a small amplifier you will be able to play the music on small speakers and big speakers and you also will be able to blow them up (small and big speakers)

but before they blow up they will sound horrible because of the distortion so that on it self is a good sign to put the volume down

Robert-Jan

Go to a thrift store and buy a low to moderate-powered receiver. Send the PC's "line out" to the receiver's "line in" or "tape in".

so are those that can be bought from stores can support speakers at any range of power rating (watts)? Hmm if you don't mind sirs, can you give me some circuit that i can build for specific speaker power ratings like for example (Stereo: a pair of 100w 8ohms speaker) i would like it to have volume control and its own supply so that i would be able to attach it to my computer... thanks a lot...

Speakers that are rated for a max power of 100W will work fine when fed a max of only 10W. They will just sound half as loud.

Speakers that are rated for a max power of 10w will smoke and burn if they are fed 100w continuously but might survive if only the peaks are 100W.

There is no real circuit diagram to draw. You hook a cable with 3.5mm stereo on one end and RCA on the other end as I described above. You hook the speakers to the "speaker" terminals on the amplifier.

Your amplifier or receiver should be rated at least 10W. Almost all receivers meet this requirement.

I agree a nano motor would be an excellent project, now back to the original thread, I used a car amp connected to the 12 power supply in the PC. The model I bought was some miniDIN size and a graphic equalizer. It was mounted in a 5.25" drive bay using a 3.5" adaptor (modified slightly).

speakers

most PC have a glorious output of less then 1 watt that is the bottom line. hi fi speakers can be driven by 100w amps but guess what normal people can only sustain 1 -2watts of listening.speakers comes with efficiency rating and realy a 100 watts hi fi is never realy 100w they rate them as peakwats and other buzz words normaly you listen to 1 watt output whether is PC or hifi. the quality inproves with hifi speakers sure but is the PC able to provide 10-20kz flat response probably not. and finaly most people never heard 20kz most can hear is speach 5kc and if you train yourself and you are young maybe 10kz so what is your problem.

Most teenagers and young adults can hear 20kHz. That is why CDs are made to play up to 20kHz.
Old people can hear up to 10kHz.
People who worked with loud noises for many years hear everything like an AM radio or like a telephone.

Home speakers have a sensitivity of about 88db/1W/1m.
You don't wear speakers on your ears. The speakers play into a room and the loudness at your listening position is much less than it is close to the speakers. The 1W into two speakers produces 91dB at 1m and only 79dB at 4m.
100W RMS would be for the loudest peaks of music, the beat that you can feel. At a listening position the occasional peaks of 100W are not too loud (99dB). The average power is about 10W RMS which is not too loud (89dB).

most PC have a glorious output of less then 1 watt that is the bottom line.
PCs have an output of a lot less than 1 watt which is not sufficient to drive a speaker. One must presume that the intent is to entertain more than one person at close range.
so what is your problem.
What is YOUR problem? Several of us have given accurate practical advice and why are you contradicting this with your errors?

PCs have an output of a lot less than 1 watt which is not sufficient to drive a speaker. One must presume that the intent is to entertain more than one person at close range.

Ever since ATX motherboards, PC's haven't had amplifiers onboard at all, so need external amplifiers to feed speakers - their sound outputs are only for headphones or line inputs. Older sound boards, and integrated motherboards did have amplifiers - about LM386 standard or similar.

What is YOUR problem? Several of us have given accurate practical advice and why are you contradicting this with your errors?

Perhaps he's living in a time warp, and still running Windows 3.1 on a 386SX :p

My 486 pc had 1" x 2" oval speakers in a bass-reflex ported tiny enclosure on each side.
They produced down to about 100Hz pretty well. My son blew one up with feedback and it was replaced under warranty.

I have some unamplified 4:eek:hm: speakers connected to a P3 PC and they're loud enough for me.

Most teenagers and young adults can hear 20kHz. That is why CDs are made to play up to 20kHz.
Old people can hear up to 10kHz.
People who worked with loud noises for many years hear everything like an AM radio or like a telephone.

Home speakers have a sensitivity of about 88db/1W/1m.
You don't wear speakers on your ears. The speakers play into a room and the loudness at your listening position is much less than it is close to the speakers. The 1W into two speakers produces 91dB at 1m and only 79dB at 4m.
100W RMS would be for the loudest peaks of music, the beat that you can feel. At a listening position the occasional peaks of 100W are not too loud (99dB). The average power is about 10W RMS which is not too loud (89dB).
audio guru teenager can hear 20kc in your dreams. and 95 DB is feeling pain threshol

Last edited:
audio guru teenager can hear 20kc in your dreams. and 95 DB is feeling pain threshol
Teenagers and young adults can hear 20kHz easily.

In the '80s I measured the beat of the music at 120db on the dance floor of a disco. It was not painful.

95dB isn't even loud :p

Plenty of teenagers and young adults can hear above 20KHz, we even did tests in biology back at school (I was the lowest in the class! :( ). I can't remember the actual values now (far too long ago), but I seem to remember one of the girls could hear 28KHz or so?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back