Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to control a robot conected to paralel port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakatua

i used some software called ws_logo, but i lost it
can anyone help me?
any software to control a robot conected to printer port?
any visual basic files to make my own program?

Umm... Sorry if I got you excited making you think you got an answer when you saw that there was a reply. But, I just wanted to say, I just came here to the Robotics Forums looking for this exact thing. And this was the first thread I came to. So, anyone, I need the same thing. Information on writing my own program to control my robot via the parallel port.

Heres a circuit i designed and built a couple years ago which is used to control 4 motors from the parallel port of my computer. I used QBASIC for programming but just about any language will do.

**broken link removed**

If you want QBASIC, you can download it here:

**broken link removed**

Personally, my tip would be to use Linux and Perl.

Linux treats every device like a file, so writing code to communicate with hardware (such as a parallel port) and send data to it is extremely easy. Also, your hardware requirements are extremely marginal with Linux. A 386 with 8 meg of ram will be more than suitable for console operation. If you decide to go this route, check into Debian Linux. It's the most complete distro I have seen so far. The full installation runs on 7 CD's. It goes without saying that you can install off one as well. Debian comes off the shelf with some very nice schematic design software as well, although I forget what it's called. Another plus to Linux is the fact that it's free. Debian can be downloaded free of charge from the website https://www.debian.org.

The reason I suggest perl is it will simply make it easier. You open a filehandle (the port), pack the data and write it to the filehandle. It's all that simple. If you feel ambitious, using the Tk library, you can design a GUI interface to work with XWindows as well.

I started with Qbasic something like 10 years ago. As one that has written in both languages as well as C and C++, I can honestly say that perl is the easiest language I have worked with while still retaining a lot of the power inherant in a C language.

This is mearly the method I would choose for a similar project. In my opinion, this would be the most simple and easiest method while still allowing the designer the greatest flexability possible while keeping a low budget for hardware. Most of the time you can find someone willing to give you an out of date computer that will work just fine for this. However, it goes without saying to use what ever method you are most comfortable with.

Rob

the most powerfull tool for controlling PC hardware is still Machine language. Unfortunatly its not worth learning if you only need it for one thing.

Controling thr paralel port with visual basic is easy!

I made a simple aplication

**broken link removed**

Someone Electro said:
Controling thr paralel port with visual basic is easy!

I made a simple aplication

**broken link removed**

When I try to open that program, it gives me this error message: Run-time error '53': File not found: dlportio.dll. :?

Problems downloading the file

Someone Electro I tried to download the file clicking on the link you post but couldn't, it keep taking me to the messages page.

right click -> save as

Thanks Digi, but now I cant find the DLL in the page someone posted.
Some one by any chance you can sen me the codes for that program??

Sorry to bother you so much , but I actually got the dll file but now dont know how the program works, some one could you explain me, if posible could you also send me the source code
Brgds

Electric Rain said:
Umm... Sorry if I got you excited making you think you got an answer when you saw that there was a reply. But, I just wanted to say, I just came here to the Robotics Forums looking for this exact thing. And this was the first thread I came to. So, anyone, I need the same thing. Information on wrighting my own program to control my robot via the parallel port.
#

wanna know how transistors work?
could help you if you want to...
the emitter has to be fitted on the ground, while the basis is connected to the signal and the emitter goes to the part that needs to be amplified... but there is so much literature, specially in the internet you could've used, why didn't you do that??
sankt-seibel

programming paralell port

hi
i already programmed the port with pascal, but unfortunately my teacher wrote a pascal-unit for this, and its german. he also named the functions/procedures very strange and near to the projects he had there (he called one 'motor1_left' to turn the motor left (a1=0/a2=1)) and so on. if anyone wants to have it anyway, download @ www.fhn.de/~gfmeyers/deppe/
there is also a turtle-graphics unit (640*480).
cya sankt-seibel

programming paralell port

hi
i already programmed the port with pascal, but unfortunately my teacher wrote a pascal-unit for this, and its german. he also named the functions/procedures very strange and near to the projects he had there (he called one 'motor1_left' to turn the motor left (a1=0/a2=1)) and so on. if anyone wants to have it anyway, download @ www.fhn.de/~gfmeyers/deppe/
there is also a turtle-graphics unit (640*480).
cya sankt-seibel

I've done quite a bit of parallel port interfacing but I was wondering if there was a to get more than the 8 outputs. I know you can use additional pins and get about 12, but I'm looking for 50-100.

Is there any chip that'll take say when pin 2 and 8 are high, it'll make output pin 20 on the chip high? Anyone heard of anything like that? By using combinations of high pins to make 1 final pin high, you should be able to many, many more than 8 possibilities.

Any info would be appreciated.

Jon
www.JBProjects.net

yes, you can use a multiplexer IC such as a 74154, this will give you 16 possible outputs and if you use two, you can get 32 outputs all driven by the parallel port data pins 2 to 9. The problem is only two outputs can be high at the same time, but that may be fine depends on the application.

If I used more than 2...like 8 or so - would it be possible to get all 255 possible combinations?

Thanks a lot for the info. 32 is a lot better than 8.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back