Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate the value u farad of a dc capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkyong

If a dc voltage generated by a bridge rectifier & dc capacitor is 250vdc & has to be loaded about 3A,what is the u farad of the dc capacitor needed?
How to calculate?
Thanks!!

Is the answer due tomorrow?

I doubt it's a homework question as there isn't enough information to answer it.

What is the minimum voltage that whatever it is supplying will tolerate? Or, how much ripple is allowable?

Mike.

Depends on the ripple suppression required.The smoother the O/P the larger the capacitor.
HINT: The capacitor has to supply the 3 amps for the time between DC pulses.

Just have a look in the search of this forum as the same question whas answered about 3 a 4 months ago

Robert-Jan

what mean F in equation ?

F is the frequency coming from the rectifier bridge. It is double the mains frequency so it is 100Hz or 120Hz.

If a dc voltage generated by a bridge rectifier & dc capacitor is 250vdc & has to be loaded about 3A,what is the u farad of the dc capacitor needed?
How to calculate?
Thanks!!

THere is iterative math involved...but I forget it all.

Last edited:
The answer is simple.

The biggest capacitor you can find in your junk box :p

If it hums then stick a few more in parallel until it stops humming ;)

The answer is simple.

Definitely, I agree with this 100%, ahaha... By this theory though, the 71000uF Caps I scavenged from a TV are starting to run out...

I was given the formula for a full wave bridge rectifier of 20'000/(V/I) but as that was in a crappy Italian school where I knew more than some of the teachers so I'd not stake my life on it !

The answer is simple.

thats a very good rule of thumb and rather puts it all in nutshell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back