Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How To Build An Ionic Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply,

"The Voltage for an Ionized Air Cleaner should NOT Exceed 5,000 Volts. "

I'll take your word for it but how come antigravity lifters use up to 100 kvolts and they don't say anything about ozone. :? Maybe they are producing ozone but becuase it's outside they don't even worry about it.

So all I need is to step up the voltage to 5,000kv and it should work.

Thanks

D.J.

D.J. said:
I'll take your word for it but how come antigravity lifters use up to 100 kvolts and they don't say anything about ozone. :? Maybe they are producing ozone but becuase it's outside they don't even worry about it.

More probably because it's just a story?, or a scam to make money perhaps?.

Incidently, the 25-30KV off television EHT produces ozone quite nicely 8)

Nigel Goodwin said:
D.J. said:

More probably because it's just a story?, or a scam to make money perhaps?.

Incidently, the 25-30KV off television EHT produces ozone quite nicely 8)

Ozone is only created when there is an arc, right? well if the "100 kv plates" are far enough from each other there will be no arcing.

Good point Zachtheterrible :!:

Those Lifters work off the BieField-Brown Effect. That worked so why wouldn't a bigger one levitate.

On a Lifters, the plates are a good six to eight inches appart. Theirs no spark.

It's like a giant capacitor, just so big that ions between the plates move enough to create an ion wind. I assume a Lifter and these air purifiers work on the same principle.

D.J.

zachtheterrible said:
Ozone is only created when there is an arc, right? well if the "100 kv plates" are far enough from each other there will be no arcing.

No, you don't need an arc! - high voltage to a point produces ozone, with no arc - according to Audioguru it takes 5000V?. I've no knowledge of this value, but no reason to disagree with it!.

"No, you don't need an arc! - high voltage to a point produces ozone, with no arc - according to Audioguru it takes 5000V?. I've no knowledge of this value, but no reason to disagree with it!."

Now i'm curious to how that would happen. If their was no spark in the air then how would it create ozone?

Two high voltage plates with opposite charges should only attract oppositely charged ions. The only way I can see ozone being produced is if their was some kind of spark that would seperate the oxygen the recombine into 3O.

I am probably wrong, haven't got very far into my chemistry book :lol:

D.J.

Nigel Goodwin said:
zachtheterrible said:

No, you don't need an arc! - high voltage to a point produces ozone, with no arc - according to Audioguru it takes 5000V?. I've no knowledge of this value, but no reason to disagree with it!.

well then howcome those ionic breeze things don't produce ozone? Or maybe they do, just not enough to be harmful?

Many photocopying machines used high voltage/electrostatic processes - and they generated lots of ozone. It's my understanding that ozone is generated, to some extent, when high voltage conductors are exposed. Ozone is very unstable and doesn't last long but clearly long enough. Copier rooms used to have that ozone smell - not sure you could smell it but possibly the effects of it. We had to create some very still chambers to test the ozone output levels for copiers. Even a simple fan to stir the air would break up the ozone.

Some more info.

Ozone Causes Cancer.

Ozone is Typically Produced by "Corona Discharge".
This is High Voltage Leaking into the Air. It is an Arc, But Quite often Invisable to the naked eye.

Below 5000 Volts, there is Still some Ozone Produced, But it is in Very Small Amounts because of Very Low Corona Discharge. That is why a air cleaner should be just under 5Kv.

Ozone has as "Half Life" of 20 minutes, so if only Small Amounts of Ozone are Produced, it will distroy itself Before it builds up to Dangerous Levels.

Ozone Exists Naturally in the Air.
In Canada:
The Desireable Level is 0.05 ppm.
The Maximim Acceptable level is 0.08 ppm.
Up to 0.15 ppm is Just Tollerable, but Long term Exposure is Dangerous.
Above that level is Not Recommended at all.

In a Room that has Considerable Bacteria, Ozone Will be Distroyed Faster than the above 20 minutes. Ozone is Often used to Distroy Bacteria or Bad Odors. But Usually in the Absence of People.

Hope this helps clear this up.

Chemelec - good information. My understanding is that if ozone has something to act on or react with it will do so relatively quickly - hence the more rapid reduction in the concentration if bacteria or other things are present. Isn't ozone one of the nasty components of smog?

stevez said:
Isn't ozone one of the nasty components of smog?
A lot of today's ozone pollution must be produced by those new-fangled hybrid-electric or pure electric cars' electric motors sparking.
Emissions tests are waved for them but ozone isn't tested at emissions testing places anyway. How about those high-intensity-discharge headlamps on cars? Their high operating voltage probably produces ozone.

My electric drill sparks so badly that it makes more than enough ozone to make my whole city smoggy. I think its carbon brushes are worn-out so the springs are dragging across its armature.

Before Ford bought Volvo they had a radiator coating that converted air pollution to pure oxegen (ozone?). The Volvo car's exhaust had less measured pollution than its input! :lol:

Actually the Electric Car Manufacturers MUST Follow Special Guidelines to Prevent Ozone. Most of them use Sealed Motors.

audioguru, My electric drill sparks so badly that it makes more than enough ozone to make my whole city smoggy. I think its carbon brushes are worn-out so the springs are dragging across its armature.

So, Fix the Drill!!!

***SMILE***

Previously, I designed and Manufactured Ozone Generators fo another company in the House and Car Cleaning Business.

It Works Quite Well if You Know What Your Doing.
BUT Ozone Attack certain Plastics and Rubber Materials Very Quickly.
A reasonably High level Will Distroy a Condom in 15 Minutes.
It can Also Damage the Wiring in a car, If used too long or too often.
ABS Water Pipes are Also Affected.

Gary

Hi Gary,
He, he. Very interesting. I got fixed long ago after my kids were born (they are grown-up now). So I haven't used a condom in a car full of ozone or anywhere else for a long time. He, he. :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back