Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How To Build An Electronic Water Softener

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen Siamese cats in Thailand, but few households keep cats as pets, favoring the more practical (for the perceived security benefit) dogs. The result is that most of the relatively scarce cats are more or less feral and odd mixes. its nice to see this thread taking a practical direction...

since we are the topic of cats, let me share this with you guys: (my own vid!!)
[video=facebook;1382281352842]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1382281352842[/video]

cheers!

OMG.. the cat's fur looked decent though.. no signs of a rodent-catcher.. there's this real gung-ho cat living in the our mosque compound.. it eats rats and leaves the mouse-fur behind... once in a while you see a mini-carpet strayed somewhere at the mosque walkway! :D

Wow, you don't seem shocked that, that cat managed to sit in a McDonald's and eat a fat rat and no one minded!

Are cats and rats allowed to dine in your local restaurants?

well not in mcdonalds of course.. but most roadside stalls have cats, yeah. occasionally rats come and scurry but cats don't eat 'em; they'd prefer scraps and bits of chicken bone or fish... heck, I saw a cat ate slices of cucumber. :D

Hi
I want to make a practical water softener.
Can any body guide me please?
Its a nice idea to build an electronic water softner. but do you know what is hard water n soft water? do you know each details for it? if you knew you wont think of such a thing. but still if you want to build I could help you with theoretical part of softening water but little of electronic part. how much water do you want to deal with?do you have enough capital? it may cost you up to thousand dollars. softening water is not that easy. still costlier is to maintain the system. you need replacement of the main component every now n then. first tell me how do you look forward on this? I mean how do you expect your machine to work? let me know your ideas and then we shall carry on. working with me I promise that you wil build your machine in less than 2 months. if you want to contact me personally mail me at rohitdhamal@yahoo.com.

thanks rohit

atleast someone is still talking about the thread topic, otherwise it needed to be renamed something like:-

" WHERE TO FIND KILLER CAT "

I know this is old but I've been looking. They sure want a lot of money for what seems to me ought to just be a transformer providing the correct amps to the wire wrapped on the pipe. In my reading, I've repeatedly seen it commented the government has successfully created such a system for the military. I think they mean a government contractor either has built one that works, or has successfully demonstrated to the military at least the appearance of it working. The main problem I see with systems for purchase for residential use is no effort to provide suitable means for removing what the field has removed from the system is made. It seems to me, if you successfully pull the calcium, magnesium (most of the stuff that makes water hard is one of those two) and whatever else, you'd want to get it out of the system or you'd end up with gritty water or a closed up pipe under the wire wrap eventually. Seems to me if such a system works at all, you'd just need to know the proper current, probably a matter of knowing the right amps. And I wouldn't be shocked if you told me the size of the pipe might change the requirement. Then you'd want to at the least provide a spigot so you could perhaps weekly turn it on to flush the system, then turn off the machine which would be wired just prior to it on the incoming water main line. That way, you'd flush what it removed out. Seeing as what you remove is what creates scale on the inside of pipes, water heaters, etc, I think you'd probably also be ahead if you made the section of pipe wrapped easily removable for replacement or at least some type of cleaning. Anyone know what current is needed for a 2 inch pipe?

IMHO there is no electronic solution to softening water; a chemical method is necessary. Various electronic gizmos marketed as 'water-softeners' are, if you read the small-print, alleged to de-scale water systems rather than actually soften the water. I say 'alleged', because there is considerable doubt as to whether they actually work as claimed.

Alec

Though I have no interest or need of a water softening system, I have an idea after reading the relevenet part of this thread (sorry the cats weren't to relevent though amusing). I agree the design of the current systems on the market definately appears flawed (or phoney baloney). I wonder if you could integrate the electronic and the chemical (ion-exchange resin bed chromatographic systems; yes I know EXACTLY what they are and how they work) based together. Instead of a chemical bed to capture the "junk" use an electrode to attract and accumulate the junk, then turn of the power and backflush the junk out of the system.

I think you are talking about electrophoresis in a liquid, not gel, medium. That is done routinely today in capillaries, but other approaches using continuous-flowing liquid sheets have been developed in the mid-20th century and were quite popular in the 1970's (see: Luner and Kolin, https://www.freepatentsonline.com/3755132.html ). The biggest hurdle to overcome is local heating (i.e., convection currents) in the fluid which disrupts the electrophoretic separation when you have a field high enough to cause separation rapidly. Luner counteracted that effect by forcing the film to travel in a helix parallel to the earth. It was sort of a crude way to simulate zero gravity.

In other words, you might be able to do it in microgravity, but on earth, the effects of local heating have been insurmountable for anything that would approach the volume needed for treating household water.

John

From what I remember, there are two kinds of hardness in water 'Permanent' and 'Temporary' This kind of equipment simply sequesters the hardness, so it carries on through the system without sticking to it.

But what's more important is is there a machine to soften cats, one keeps c******g in my garden.

This is probably a little late but anyhow I'm using an electronic (coil type) water conditioner and it's given great results and definitely reduced scale build up

I dont understand how it can save money on heating bills, the water in any system I've seen is sealed within the system.
Wait I get it you need one for the mains water into the house and another for the heating pipes, double bubble.

it's given great results and definitely reduced scale build up
How can you tell? Did you have an identical pipe system without the gadget, as a comparison reference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back