Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How To Build An Electronic Water Softener

Status
Not open for further replies.
saghez said:
Hi
I want to make a practical water softener.
Can any body guide me please?

I don't believe it's ever been proved that they work?, but I'm sure a simple google search will find you plenty of examples to try!.

soft water

i don't know much about it, but it seems your project would have to deal with rods that have high affinity for the salts in the water. you know, a kind of electrochemical voltage. apply the voltage and your sodium, calcium start flying helter skelter.

Re: soft water

aibelectronics said:
i don't know much about it, but it seems your project would have to deal with rods that have high affinity for the salts in the water. you know, a kind of electrochemical voltage. apply the voltage and your sodium, calcium start flying helter skelter.

I presume the type of thing he's asking about just uses a coil wrapped around the incoming cold water pipe?, you feed it with various changing frequencies, and it's 'supposed' to magically soften the water!.

If it's the coil-around-the-pipe version, just where are those little hard-water ions supposed to end up? One thing that's worse than hard water is chunky water.
JB

john1 said:
http://www.scalewatcher.co.uk/

Scam or what? - did you check the prices?. You're talking about a couple of 555's or a PIC, or something along those lines - for something which has never been demonstrated to work!.

john1 said:
http://www.scalewatcher.co.uk/

This is not a water softener. All it claims to do is stop your pipes from clogging up. From their F.A.Q. :

Does it affect the drinking water?

Water remains chemically unchanged, retaining the beneficial minerals and tastes the same so you do not need a separate drinking tap.

Where does the scale that is removed go?

As the scale does not stick to pipework and appliances it all goes down the plug and leaves the house with the water.

As the scale does not stick to pipework and appliances it all goes down the plug and leaves the house with the water.

If its not in the pipework then it must be in the water and food that people consume, apart from that used for washing and flushing.

Hi Joel,

nice looking cat.
Yours? or just a picture ....

John :)

john1 said:
Hi Joel,

nice looking cat.
Yours? or just a picture ....

John :)

My ex-girlfriend's cat actually, but I still consider him mine. I named him after all :)

Here he is poking my chameleon in the eye :D :

Attachments

• bucky_vs_morpheus.jpg
    bucky_vs_morpheus.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,257
This is my cat, called 'Murderer' from her intention to kill as much of
the local wildlife as she can. The pic has not been altered, the camera
just caught a bit of a glint in her eyes. I hope your chameleon did not
catch a claw in its eye, or anywhere else. I had thought your cat
looked like a Burmese, now i think its more like a Siamese.

Attachments

• murderer.jpg
    murderer.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,148
Wow, your little Murderer sure is good looking! 8)

Maybe we should think about building a water softener for our cats so we stay on-topic ;)

Last 2 pictures for me guys, promised :p

Attachments

• bucky_600x800.jpg
    bucky_600x800.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,102
  • bucky_store2.jpg
    bucky_store2.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 1,139
Well, I have to show my cat too :lol:

I just love the satisifed face on this picture

Attachments

• r_ps.jpg
    r_ps.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,118
I had thought your cat
looked like a Burmese, now i think its more like a Siamese.

It's unbelieveable: There are no Siam cats in Thailand (former Siam). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back