Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How not spent money on stupid sh*t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Hello,

Did you ever buy something totally useless, expensive, stupid and later regret spending money on it? And of course with all the stupid sh*t that you buy you cannot return back for a refund. There is an entire industry out there devoted to selling you stupid, useless sh*t you don't need.

My dad who is always devotted to basics, was brainwashed enough to buy 2 sets of Magic Bullet. That stupid crap u see on TV, never works the same in real life. Well, he tried it once and now its been collecting dust ever since.

I am a big S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl fan, so when I was drunk, I ordered $200 worth of posters of the game (17 of them to be exact). I mean they are really high quality professional photo finished 24" by 48" posters but, I have no where to hang them so they just collect dust in my closet now.

So my question is: How do you keep yourself from spending money on stupid sh*t you don't need?

Last edited:
Put your wife in control of the credit cards... that way at least you won't spend anything...

Dougy speaks the truth. The only thing that can keep a guy from spending money on toys is a girl. Sometimes, even then lol

An alternative is to get a hobby so expensive that you can't afford to spend money on other useless things.

Last edited:
"so when I was drunk...."

Well if you stopped drinking you might have a win win situation, less money spent on drink and less money spent on wierd s**t. ;)

Lefty

Put your wife in control of the credit cards... that way at least you won't spend anything...

Might as well castrate yourself and become a subservient eunuch.

Resell on eBay for $300, they say: there's one born every minute.:)

Take the..................

stupid, useless sh*t you don't need.

And then cut a square hole and frame your TV and Computer with the.......

high quality professional photo finished 24" by 48" posters

Every time you watch TV or Use your Computer. The fringe will remind you of the previous offenses.

kv:)

But it's worth it, you'd make money: "oh, you like my hair honey? It only cost $300, normally $550; so I like saved $250!"

My first wife was insane. She just walk into the store and remove the items. '

Her and a friend walked into a store and came home with about. 1,500 in cloths and coats ? They described a method use by thief's to drape stuff over your arm and replace your winter coat over the items browse and leave.

I told her to return it she never did. Of course later it became a sore spot and other crazy crap was happening we split.

Thank God I had the sense to walk.

By the way she used to pull that I bought this on sale crap all the time too! Oh look at the money we saved.

kv:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sexual politics aside, why not just ask a friend if it sounds like a good deal. If he doubles over with laughter at the description of a proposed or completed purchase, then you might want to in Fagin's words:
"Ummm....I think I'd better think it out again"

I don't understand you people, I save half of the money I earn.

I could buy lots of things if I wanted to but I don't have the need for much stuff.

I always remind myself of the fact that everything you own effectivly takes away from the value of your other stuff, you'll have less use of those things because with each thing you add theyre harder to find, less important to you, and you wont maintain them as well. A house with just good stuff that you really use is better than the same house + a bunch of crap. So its not just that some things add very little, if it doesnt add quite a lot it actually makes things worse.

by the way, i think the biggest sham in consumer culture is party stuff and guest stuff. No one needs that crap, If I have a party or guests I can use the stuff I use to feed my own family, they can use some of our towels, and we certianly don't need a guest room. Having a whole room, set of plates, and who knows what else for the 1 to 5% of your time you have guests actually stay over is insane. Every home show or magazine talks about these guest and party things, theyre just a status symbol, and like all status symbols, its just wastefullness to show that you can afford it.

Last edited:
Lol, I'm messy too, I can't find lots of things because I have to sift through loads of junk. The difference is I get my junk for free, I don't buy it!

Two boats
One motorcycle
Two tractors
4 Oscilloscopes
Two computers
Many, many power supplies
Drill Press, Lathe, Milling Maching, Bandsaw
Shall I go on?

Two boats
One motorcycle
Two tractors
4 Oscilloscopes
Two computers
Many, many power supplies
Drill Press, Lathe, Milling Maching, Bandsaw
Shall I go on?

I don't see how Drill Press, Lathe, Milling Machine and Band saw are useless items. I can only dream of such luxury. With all that machinery and some good skill you can machine any enclosure and quality faceplate for all your electronic projects.

However, having two tractors is a little bit to much unless your a farmer and you absolutely need two different kind.

Oh and why do you have 4 oscilloscopes ?

Last edited:
My first wife was insane. She just walk into the store and remove the items. '

Her and a friend walked into a store and came home with about. 1,500 in cloths and coats ? They described a method use by thief's to drape stuff over your arm and replace your winter coat over the items browse and leave.

I told her to return it she never did. Of course later it became a sore spot and other crazy crap was happening we split.

Thank God I had the sense to walk.

By the way she used to pull that I bought this on sale crap all the time too! Oh look at the money we saved.

kv:rolleyes:

Damn, I guess my $200 worth of posters is nothing compared to that... Most of my spending is on:

1. Alcohol
2. Electronic components
3. Girls.

Last edited:
Schools should really teach kids proper money management skills. Perhaps there would be a lot less credit card debt in North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back