Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How not spent money on stupid sh*t

Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOVE Shadow of Chernobyl!!! Dude, you got $200 worth posters? Awesome! You got the one with the Scavenger by the busted gate?

Hello,

Did you ever buy something totally useless, expensive, stupid and later regret spending money on it? And of course with all the stupid sh*t that you buy you cannot return back for a refund. There is an entire industry out there devoted to selling you stupid, useless sh*t you don't need.
Precisely why one needs to genuinely exercise being thrifty and a bit logical on expenditures.

My dad who is always devotted to basics, was brainwashed enough to buy 2 sets of Magic Bullet. That stupid crap u see on TV, never works the same in real life. Well, he tried it once and now its been collecting dust ever since. If it's of any consolation to your dad, the merchandise that Billy Mays pitches for do live up to mfgr. claims. A television documentary on TV Pitchmen interviewed Billy Mays, with him clearly stating that he won't pitch for products that do not work as claimed. He personally tries them out prior to advertisement, that way he believes in the products which improves his ability to sell them.

I am a big S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl fan, so when I was drunk, I ordered $200 worth of posters of the game (17 of them to be exact). I mean they are really high quality professional photo finished 24" by 48" posters but, I have no where to hang them so they just collect dust in my closet now. Can I suggest eBay at this point? It's an opportunity to get some return on your investment!

So my question is: How do you keep yourself from spending money on stupid sh*t you don't need?
I solved that problem by creating a separate savings account that I deposit money into that could get spent on frivolous crap. I make a game of it... trying to see how large the savings account can get. If I need to use the money for something it's for vehicle or home repairs and spending it on justifiable stuff like that is mind settling. Then the game starts over again until the next unexpected, but justified need.

My wife likes Suze Orman an she has some sound financial advise. Late last night we seen a clip of some stuff that is the does and don't or should do.

1. Pay minimum on Credit Card Debt.

2. Take the money you would have used to pay it off and start saving now.

4. The new laws limit Credit Card Company's power to some degree. I am sure their are going to be pissed as Hell when they learn of her tutelage.

5. Let is accumulate so you have a buffer if you loose your income Tragedy or other.

I thought this works here. I have a financial advisor telling me I should have at least $10,000 in disposable income for just those reasons. Around this state they are much more aggressive with there advise.

kv

Edit: I'm sure there are other area's that number would double as to the differing costs of living.

Last edited:
Unless you have an incredibly low rate on your card, and an incredibly high one on savings, I can't see that being a good idea at all. If a dollar could be keeping me from being charged 9% or earning me 3%, and those are better than average, I'm going to put it where its saving me the 9%

Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me, either.

I don't see how Drill Press, Lathe, Milling Machine and Band saw are useless items. I can only dream of such luxury. With all that machinery and some good skill you can machine any enclosure and quality faceplate for all your electronic projects.

However, having two tractors is a little bit to much unless your a farmer and you absolutely need two different kind.

Oh and why do you have 4 oscilloscopes ?

Well, I guess it goes back to Frosty's comment about how the more sh*t you have, the less time you can spend with any of those individual items. My machining "skills" are pedestrian at best. I keep trying to improve, but man it takes alot of time and patience, and then add to that the electronic projects, home improvment projects, website, agggg!

I have 4 scopes because I started out yeas ago buying cheap, used units, and then upgraded. I have to get rid of a couple of them, but their busted and I'm not sure they are worth fixing.

EDIT: I bought the lathe with a busted motor controller. Another project!

Last edited:
My wife likes Suze Orman an she has some sound financial advise. Late last night we seen a clip of some stuff that is the does and don't or should do.

1. Pay minimum on Credit Card Debt.

2. Take the money you would have used to pay it off and start saving now.

4. The new laws limit Credit Card Company's power to some degree. I am sure their are going to be pissed as Hell when they learn of her tutelage.

5. Let is accumulate so you have a buffer if you loose your income Tragedy or other.

I thought this works here. I have a financial advisor telling me I should have at least $10,000 in disposable income for just those reasons. Around this state they are much more aggressive with there advise.

kv

Edit: I'm sure there are other area's that number would double as to the differing costs of living.

Are you sure that's what she said? I've watched her on occasion, and I always thought she gave some pretty good, common sense advise.

Anyone ever listen to Dave Ramsey?

Last edited:
Are you sure that's what she said? I've watched her on occasion, and I always thought she gave some pretty good, common sense advise.

Anyone ever listen to Dave Ramsey?

I think her reasoning is that if your income is at jeopardy or in light of the current economic woe's. Any common sense outside of a banks percentage rate versus an Average Credit Card Rate would be ludicrous to think that way or if life only worked that way.

But, Credit Card Company's have enjoyed a long run at hitting customers with un-justified charges when they have tragic circumstances they wait just like sharks in the water smelling blood they kill you with the threat of bad credit and control your income with high fee's for late payment and raise your rate at the drop of a hat.

Then they sit back with impunity and declare that the bottom line is theirs and not yours no matter what the reasons behind lack of payment at the moment. No, instead they wait for their next victim a good 80% to 90% of the people fit into this profile. Poor wages lack of insurance poor economic growth spells disaster for the middle class working stiff.

I think having your own money to spend and let them take a hit when your at poverty level without a house and without a job and without food in yer belly. Is better than them hardening their bottom line just so they can throw seed out to the next pigeon.s

kv:rolleyes:

Last edited:
In that case the advice is pretty conditional, yeah if you're about to go bankrupt anyway that might be a good idea (even then I'm not so sure), but the advice posted didn't specify that.

Last edited:
I think her reasoning is that if your income is at jeopardy or in light of the current economic woe's. Any common sense outside of a banks percentage rate versus an Average Credit Card Rate would be ludicrous to think that way or if life only worked that way.

But, Credit Card Company's have enjoyed a long run at hitting customers with un-justified charges when they have tragic circumstances they wait just like sharks in the water smelling blood they kill you with the threat of bad credit and control your income with high fee's for late payment and raise your rate at the drop of a hat.

Then they sit back with impunity and declare that the bottom line is theirs and not yours no matter what the reasons behind lack of payment at the moment. No, instead they wait for their next victim a good 80% to 90% of the people fit into this profile. Poor wages lack of insurance poor economic growth spells disaster for the middle class working stiff.

I think having your own money to spend and let them take a hit when your at poverty level without a house and without a job and without food in yer belly. Is better than them hardening their bottom line just so they can throw seed out to the next pigeon.s

kv:rolleyes:

I couln't agree more! You know why you never hear of loan sharks? The credit card industry was too much competition.

I don't support the industry. I have NO credit cards.

Savings? Money? living higher than poverty? BS! Thats just mythical stuff. No one actually does it. Do they?
If you dont save money nothing ever breaks down. If you have no money you never spend on useless junk.

In that case the advice is pretty conditional, yeah if you're about to go bankrupt anyway that might be a good idea (even then I'm not so sure), but the advice posted didn't specify that.

where did you miss it ?

killivolt said:
Let is accumulate so you have a buffer if you loose your income Tragedy or other.

I believe the operative word is Other. Of course it is relative and so I apologize. Maybe if I say it like this.

When your outgo exeedes your income, your upkeep is your "downfall".

kv:)

Woulden't you be saving money for tragedies so that when they happen you don't go bankrupt? So going bankrupt can't be one of the tragedies you're refering to. Its an effect not a cause.

Who said Slavery was Dead. (What color is Poor & ignorant)

Woulden't you be saving money for tragedies so that when they happen you don't go bankrupt? So going bankrupt can't be one of the tragedies you're refering to. Its an effect not a cause.

I agree it should be Economics 101 in School. How to earn interest instead of paying it. But, who would you put into Financial Slavery when everybody knows about it?

But, then again had they practiced what the preached maybe the country wouldn't be facing an economic melt down and begging for a Stimulus Package to save their Company's.

If you remember it was they who chose to bargain with our money and predictable nature. Average people wont see a dime when it comes to saving their financial blunders.

They have Public Schools to Baby sit our Children and continue to allow them to remain ignorant to the secrets of financial freedom.

But,then there wouldn't be as many Credit Card Company's in this country. With Corporate executives living on fat salary's spending their Money in other country's and saving it in Swiss Bank Accounts with unknown Numbers.

kv:)

Last edited:
If you remember it was they who chose to bargain with our money and predictable nature. Average people wont see a dime when it comes to saving their financial blunders.

I agree with you there, they would have benifitted if their risky gambles had payed off, but we pay if they loose. And the only reason we have to help them is because they have too much of our money already.

I agree with you there, they would have benifitted if their risky gambles had payed off, but we pay if they loose. And the only reason we have to help them is because they have too much of our money already.

I believe that maybe legal extortion! Complicated by "exasterbating" spenders.

I think we just found the road to this thread again. No, need for Krums to post thread derailed.

kv

Last edited:
Yes

I LOVE Shadow of Chernobyl!!! Dude, you got $200 worth posters? Awesome! You got the one with the Scavenger by the busted gate?

Yes, It's one of my favorite. I also have two collectors edition of the game: A UK edition that comes in a steel box. And an extremely rare Russian collectors edition. The Russian one comes with a T-shirt, Steel Dog tag with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Stamped out on it, and a zone map. Oh the collector's editions cost me an additional $200 with shipping. So total with the posters it came out to be $400 something...

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Here are my posters:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**