Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How many of you who are good in Electronics also have Mechnical knowledge aswell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how to answer, Heh! Probably because "fooling around" can mean so many things. I might be fooling around with an electrical project, or I might be trying to get a few more service miles from my old pickup. But here are some of the items I play with:

Oscilloscope
DVM
Breadboards, components
Development Systems
electric motors
Hand tools
Power tools
Welders, torches
etc.

Last edited:
Your into the same things as I am apart from the Boxing & power lifting

I cannot afford an Oscilloscope hopefully I will get one

How long did it take you to fully understand the Oscilloscope? I never used one only watched videos on them they look complex.

Simple, old analog 'scopes are very easy to understand. Modern digital 'scopes are so packed with features, that they should come with a month or two of training.

I love boxing! Not a fighter myself, but I love to watch it and follow the boxers.

Originally Posted by MrAl **broken link removed** "We can study the equivalent electrical system and gain understanding of the mechanical system this way"

That is a very dangerous way to look at real life mechanical systems. That is like saying statistics, or worse, computer models are accurate. We all know they are as good as the designers/programmers who are normally so far up themselves that .... choose your own ending. SHM is as far as I would trust any analogy.

Mike.

Mike:
That's a very extreme view but if you want to take that stance than you have to say that electrical simulation is dangerous too and spice is a "dangerous" thing too because a circuit may not work the way the spice model does. Obviously that's not the view of most engineers, and also this concept is not new and was taught in colleges like NJIT for example. Looking at modern control systems analysis we can see that these concepts are also applied to airplanes and other flying devices so something must be working pretty well.

It is well known that the differential equations for both electrical and mechanical systems are the same and can be treated the same way and that is what theory is all about. The application of that theory is always up to the engineer or technician and if they dont know what they are doing then they will certainly blow up something even without using theories like this.

The analogies do not stop at mechanical systems either, and also apply to thermal systems and even fluid flow systems. For more analogies for the capacitor:

Electrical capacitance: i=C*dv/dt
Translational mass: F=M*dv/dt
Rotational mass: T=J*dw/dt
Fluid capacitance: Q=C*dP/dt
Thermal capacitance: q=C*dT/dt

Last edited:
hey there is an actual branch of engineering for this.. it's called mechatronics...!

Originally Posted by MrAl **broken link removed** "We can study the equivalent electrical system and gain understanding of the mechanical system this way"

Mike:
That's a very extreme view but if you want to take that stance than you have to say that electrical simulation is dangerous too and spice is a "dangerous" thing too because a circuit may not work the way the spice model does. Obviously that's not the view of most engineers, and also this concept is not new and was taught in colleges like NJIT for example. Looking at modern control systems analysis we can see that these concepts are also applied to airplanes and other flying devices so something must be working pretty well.

It is well known that the differential equations for both electrical and mechanical systems are the same and can be treated the same way and that is what theory is all about. The application of that theory is always up to the engineer or technician and if they dont know what they are doing then they will certainly blow up something even without using theories like this.

The analogies do not stop at mechanical systems either, and also apply to thermal systems and even fluid flow systems. For more analogies for the capacitor:

Electrical capacitance: i=C*dv/dt
Translational mass: F=M*dv/dt
Rotational mass: T=J*dw/dt
Fluid capacitance: Q=C*dP/dt
Thermal capacitance: C*dT/dt

When you try and turn a bridge into an "equivalent" electrical equation, then you are asking for trouble.

Mike.

mechy? hmm... here's a quick quiz (I had to solve this one for a customer) - how do you mount an accelerometer to a garage door spring?

the thing was a punching bag with a garage door spring "skeleton"

hey there is an actual branch of engineering for this.. it's called mechatronics...!

Electronic circuits are only part of the game for major process equipment.

Some typical sub-systems for one machine:

Vacuum: mechanical rough, turbo, and cryogenic pumps. HE compressors and pumping. Low/High vacuum gauges, piping, various fittings and leak detection.

Gas: Flow metering (MFC), pressure sensors, Plasma generation (Ion source), waste capture/leak detection systems.

Cooling: Glycol, DI water pumps, heat exchangers, DI filtering and O2 removal. Water RS purity monitoring.

Electrical: Mains, high current low voltage for beam bending/ shaping magnets (10KG+), high voltage for beam acceleration (250Kvdc+), electrostatic scanning, RF amplifiers (30Kw)for final energy acceleration (1Mev+) , computers and controllers.

Mechanical: wafer transport robots. spin/flip beam orientation motors/gear boxes. Gyro tilt motors/gears, DC servo, AC servo, stepper motors, linear motors/bearings. Vacuum shaft couplers, ferromagnetic couplings.

Pneumatic: Vacuum/vent/purge valves,wafer lifts, motor cooling, process chamber doors/load-locks.

The list goes on forever.
All of these things have to be repaired, pm'd. When we look at a new hire, I tend to spend more time about asking about wrenching than electronics.

Last edited:
mechy? hmm... here's a quick quiz (I had to solve this one for a customer) - how do you mount an accelerometer to a garage door spring?

I'd never mount an accelerometer to a spring! (no way to work!)

Mount it to the door!

Boncuk

You didn't read the whole post. He isn't using the spring to open a door.

Who told you I didn't?

I guess that problem is over your head.

Mounting an accelerometer to a spring is as good as telling a camel to jump in a sunny day in the desert. :D

You didn't read the whole post. He isn't using the spring to open a door.

Hi BlackOut,

Who told you I didn't?

Mounting an accelerometer to a spring is as good as telling a camel to jump in a sunny day in the desert. :D

Hi Boneheadcuk - since there are no doors on a punching bag, then I'd say your whole point is, well pointless. Don't know why I would be lectured by a member who can't read, understand and respond in a relevant way to a simple post.

the thing was a punching bag with a garage door spring "skeleton"

I'd never mount an accelerometer to a spring! (no way to work!)

Mount it to the door!
Boncuk

Last edited:
If you think about it, the accelerometer on the punching bag makes sense, if it's a heavy "body" type bag. It can be used to measure the force of the strike, since F = -kx. X might be hard to measure, but can be determined by the integral of the acceleration, according to the law: X = Xo + Vot + intgr(a(t)).

Last edited:
Hi Boneheadcuk - since there are no doors on a punching bag, then I'd say your whole point is, well pointless. Don't know why I would be lectured by a member who can't read, understand and respond in a relevant way to a simple post.

Hi Blackout,

thanks for the flowers!

I don't try to lecture anybody, but I'm afraid you really can't read properly (so do I, but there is no big difference between brownout and blackout).

You can't mount an accelerometer to a spring! That's it!

Capice?

Hi BlackOut,

Who told you I didn't?

tell that to the WORKING accelerometer. of course the impact is NOT on the length of the spring, it comes in from the side ... the point was how would a mechy make a solid mount to the diameter of the spring, which when flexing is neither smooth (never is) or consistent (changes as the spring bends).

As I said, it is a problem that has been solved and posted as a mechy brain teaser.

Hi Blackout,

thanks for the flowers!

I don't try to lecture anybody, but I'm afraid you really can't read properly (so do I, but there is no big difference between brownout and blackout).

You can't mount an accelerometer to a spring! That's it!

Capice?

Hi Boneheadcuck,

Well, you're just wrong about that. You can go on believing your own myths if you like, the rest of us live in the real world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back