How does a transistor amplify current or voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In sinusoidal operation, yes. But as I said before, I wanted to just consider the DC characteristics.

Wrong. I leads E into capacitance for any signal, not only sinusoids.

My focus is where the control circuit the control lies.

Control requires voltage and current. The terminal relationships are reciprocal and equal in importance, as already demonstrated.

Brownout,

Wrong. I leads E into capacitance for any signal, not only sinusoids.
For transient and sinusoidal, yes. But I am talking only about steady state DC.

Control requires voltage and current. The terminal relationships are reciprocal and equal in importance, as already demonstrated.
And as I already explained, I agree with that. My focus in not on what is required, but where it resides. Remember driver vs rack and pinion?

Ratch

For transient and sinusoidal, yes. But I am talking only about steady state DC.

This discussion is about real transistors in real world applications. You won't find a text anywhere or any paper that restricts current control to steady state DC. Even steady state has a trun on at some point. Either way, if you want to discuss transistors, you must consider all signals that will be amplified.
And as I already explained, I agree with that. My focus in not on what is required, but where it resides. Remember driver vs rack and pinion?

Doesn't matter. Reciprosity proves current is equal as a controlling agent.

Last edited:
Brownout,

Yes, true, but it complicates the discussion. The control point at AC should be applicable to DC.

Doesn't matter. Reciprosity proves current is equal as a controlling agent.
You are still trying to discuss what happens, whereas I am focusing on where it happens. The driver or the rack and pinion, remember?

Ratch

Yes, true, but it complicates the discussion. The control point at AC should be applicable to DC.

There's no complication at all. All electronics are concerned with signals, and to say it's too complicated is to say electronics is too complicated. It's not complicated, it's essential.

You are still trying to discuss what happens, whereas I am focusing on where it happens. The driver or the rack and pinion, remember?

I couldn't give a damn about stearing. I'm talking about electronics. Where it happens is where voltage and current are reciprocal, proving current is just as important as voltage as a controlling agent.

Brownout,

There's no complication at all. All electronics are concerned with signals, and to say it's too complicated is to say electronics is too complicated. It's not complicated, it's essential.
Yes, and one type of signal is steady state DC.

I couldn't give a damn about stearing. I'm talking about electronics. Where it happens is where voltage and current are reciprocal, proving current is just as important as voltage as a controlling agent.
I used the steering analogy to illustrate my point. That is valid in a discussion. You are veering to what instead of where again.

Ratch

Yes, and one type of signal is steady state DC.

So what? All signals are important. DC has a startup transient. You're making another trival argument and wasting time.

I used the steering analogy to illustrate my point. That is valid in a discussion. You are veering to what instead of where again.

I'm talking about what, where, how and why. I am proving that current is just as important as a controlling agent, and you're trying to avoid dealing with that, just as you're trying to avoid discussing signals. Once again, you're just avoiding reality because it proves your preconceived notions are wrong.

Last edited:
Brownout,

So what? All signals are important. DC has a startup transient. You're making another trival argument and wasting time.
No so, it makes the discussion more complicated to discuss AC.

I don't deny that it is, but I am focusing on where the control is, not what the control is.

Ratch

For you maybe. Not for me and certainly not for the experinced members. If you think it's complicated, then go back to school and we'll talk once you're prepared. In electronics, all signals are important. You just need to learn how to discuss them intelligently, and not run away from them. If you do your homework, it's very simple.

I don't deny that it is, but I am focusing on where the control is, not what the control is.

I've treated what, where, how, why. This discussion is about control, not location. Your only focus is to keep moving the target to avoid having an intelligent discussion.

Brownout,

Yes, for me. Why complicate things?

I've treated what, where, how, why. This discussion is about control, not location. Your only focus is to keep moving the target to avoid having an intelligent discussion.
Control has a location. The question is where.

Ratch

Yes, for me. Why complicate things?

It's not complicated, but essential. In electronics, all signals are important.

Control has a location. The question is where.

The answer is at the emitter-base junction where drift current is found. But more importantly, in the base region, where diffusion current gradient controls out the output current. Current at the junction has a reciprocal relationship with voltage, proving current is just as important as a controlling agent. Current located in the base, injected from the emitter, ultimately controls output current.

There's you where, what how and why. Everything has been covered. Do you intend to go on for another 13 pages dodging, avoiding, sidestepping? Just stop now because all your questions have been answered.

Last edited:
Brownout,

It's not complicated, but essential. In electronics, all signals are important.

And what happens at steady DC? Does not the Ic increase with Vbe?

There's you where, what how and why. Everything has been covered. Do you intend to go on for another 13 pages dodging, avoiding, sidestepping? Just stop now because all your questions have been answered.
I just asked one. And what about the equations in Sedra & Smith? Or the answer from the prof from the U. of Colorado?

Ratch

No it's simple. In electronics, all signals are important. You just don’t want to deal with anything that proves you wrong

And what happens at steady DC? Does not the Ic increase with Vbe?

Ic increases with IB and IE.

I just asked one. And what about the equations in Sedra & Smith? Or the answer from the prof from the U. of Colorado?

I answered you question. The equations in Sedra and Smith exhibit reciprocity. The equations that give IC as a function of IB and IE don't require voltage as a controlling variable. What about the prof? He made an unsubstantiated comment, we've given proof.

Last edited:
Brownout,

No it's simple. In electronics, all signals are important. You just don’t want to deal with anything that proves you wrong
The simple can prove me wrong just as well as the complicated.

Ic increases with IB and IE.
And does not Vbe increase with Ic?

The equations in Sedra and Smith exhibit reciprocity.
So they do, but no one designates Ic as controlling Vbe. One instead may say that Vbe controls Ic, although it is a bad design practice to do so directly.

The equations that give IC as a function of IB and IE don't require voltage as a controlling variable.
True, but Ib controls Ic and Ic through Vce.

What about the prof? He made an unsubstantiated comment, we've given proof.
What you consider proof, anyway. True, the prof did not explain fully, but his answer proves that he at least thinks BJT is a voltage controlled device. That has to be given due consideration. And the credentials for Kevin Aylward, the other person I referenced are not be be ignored either.

Ratch

The simple can prove me wrong just as well as the complicated.

The simple has proven you wrong.

And does not Vbe increase with Ic?

Yes, through the principle of reciprocity, the equations for which has already been given. This proves that current is just as important in control as voltage.

So they do, but no one designates Ic as controlling Vbe. One instead may say that Vbe controls Ic, although it is a bad design practice to do so directly.

One may also say IC controls VBE through the principle of reciprocity, as already been discussed. Even S&S treats this, and the equations that give IC as a function of IB and IE don't require VBE. This is given in many texts including the afore mentioned Gray and Mayer. S&S isn't a text on device physics, and as such, isn't a complete treatment of the subject. G&M does better though it's not a devices text either. But the CC model is given, and is valid. I don't care if it's bad design practice; we are talking about what is the control. Current is the answer.

In engineering, unsubstantiated opinions are useless. Engineering only cares about what can be proven. We've proven over and over that current is a control agent. The prof has proven nothing.

The credentials for Kevin Aylware are kind of a joke. He has attained a BS and a few grad courses. Many here have better creds. You said earlier that we better not just give a bunch of links to incorrect information, and that’s all you’ve had from the start.

Brownout,

The simple has proven you wrong.
I don't think so.

Yes, through the principle of reciprocity, the equations for which has already been given. This proves that current is just as important in control as voltage.
Nonsense. No one tries to control Vbe with Ic. It is the other way around. Reciprocity is meaningless with respect to this point.

And no one tries to control Vbe through Ic either. S&S gives the equations, but they never say one should control Vbe with Ic and Ie. As I said before about models, they do a great job for what I device will do, but not for how and why. Current is not the answer for why, voltage is.

In engineering, unsubstantiated opinions are useless. Engineering only cares about what can be proven. We've proven over and over that current is a control agent. The prof has proven nothing.
This is more than an engineering question. It is a theoretical question. In fact, Vbe has no place in design within the active region except to work around it and compensate. The linear relationship if Ib is to Ic is what works best for design. I never denied that. Both the prof and KA did not submit a extensive proof, but they did explain it a little. As I said before, just their opinions should be respected.

And he also worked in a few interesting places. I don't think I gave links to false information, just to different viewpoints. I never said false information before. My exact statement was "Bring them on. But I hope they can show me their reasoning, and not just throw out some links that only parrot the false viewpoint that has been published before." As far as I determine all the information was correct, but its interpretation differs.

Ratch

Last edited:
So the one point Ratchit will not concede is that the Shockley diode equation as follows is fully reciprocating:

Id = Is*exp((Vd/Vt)-1) & Vd = Vt*ln((Id/Is)+1).

Does the Vd "control" the Id, or vice-versa? It has been correctly stated by almost everyone here that it is a reciprocating, or circular relation. This is so easily verifiable, please refer to the attached SMPS schematic for illustration.

It is a buck converter, where U1 is the control IC. U1 provides the PWM gate drive pulse to switch MOSFET Q1 on/off. When switched on energy builds up in the inductor L1, & this current in the inductor provides output to the load, not shown. The node labeled "+10V" is the output.

While the FET Q1 is ON, the input power supply, "V_IGN" is across diode D1. D1 is reverse biased so that it conducts only reverse leakage current. Here, the V_IGN input is a constant voltage source, CVS, connected across D1 in reverse. The diode current Id, in this case, is determined by diode voltage Vd. So we have

Id = Is*exp((Vd/Vt)-1). As temp varies so will Id, but it is Vd & temp that determine Id.

But the FET Q1 is then turned OFF by U1. The free wheeling inductor current continues through diode D1. In this scenario, the current, Id, is the inductor current at the moment the FET Q1 turned off. An inductor is a current source. L1 will output any & whatever voltage needed to maintain its present value of current. What is the current, Id in D1? It is the current in L1.

Now, what is the voltage, Vd, across D1. To find Vd, we must compute per:

Vd = Vt*ln((Id/Is)+1).

So Vd is determined by Id & temp. Any person experienced w/ SMPS, motors & their drives, induction heating, power generation, antenna, waveguides, transmission lines, etc. is all too familiar with what I've just stated. What I just said is a day at the office for a skilled seasoned EE practitioner. Id is the driving function, & Vd is a consequence, at least during the time L1 de-energizes.

So which is the dog & the tail can be either. It is a fully reciprocating relation. Another example is a simple op amp. The 1st stage is an emitter coupled differential stage. It's output is a current source, as the output current is sourced/sinked by the collector of a bjt in the diff pair. This 1st stage output feeds the 2nd stage input, colloquially named "voltage amplification stage", when it is actually a transimpedance stage (current in - voltage out).

The input stimulus for the npn bjt in the 2nd stage, common emitter topology, is the constant current source outputted by the 1st stage bjt collector. The said current feeds the base terminal of the 2nd stage bjt common emitter. In this case, the base current Ib is the forcing or driving function. When the signal at the 1st stage input increases, due to singing Sue, the 1st stage collector outputs increased current. This results in increased base current to the 2nd stage bjt. The 2nd stage bjt b-e voltage, Vbe, is determined by its Ib value.

So for the 2nd stage bjt, Ic is determined exactly by Ib, per Ic = beta*Ib. Then Vbe is determined by the same junction relation for the SMPS diode above, i.e. proportional to the log of current. Vbe = Vt*ln((beta+1)*Ib)/Ies)+1), or Vbe = Vt*ln((Ie/Ies)+1).

The only issue with this op amp topology is that the open loop gain is beta dependent. At high temp, the beta is greater than at low temp. Also, beta varies from one device to the next. So, the open loop op amp gain is not a precise predictable constant, but variable. But op amps are not run open loop, except in low speed comparator applications, so the gain variation is mitigated through the use of feedback.

Again, Ib, Vbe, & Ie have a circular or reciprocal relation. We can easily, & often do, set Ib or Ie to a specific value, then Vbe becomes a consequence. In the forward direction, a p-n junction is always current driven, because voltage driven forward p-n junctions can easily go into thermal runaway.

In the reverse direction, e.g. the free wheeling diode D1 above, a p-n junction can be voltage driven. But a bjt b-e jcn operates from 0 to around 0.7V Vbe, & negative values are seldom emplyed. So b-e jcns must be current driven. Vbe is a consequence of current, either Ib or Ie.

What I just presented has been common knowledge for a very long time. No revelations here, just going back to basics. A small few people claim that the whole semicon OEM community, the unis, EE practitioners, etc. just don't get it , & that Ib/Ie are mere consequences of Vbe which is the "engine". But the laws of science, evident in common tried & true netorks Like SMPS & op amps, completely refute the notion that "Vbe is the engine, Ib/Ie are just consequences". Ib/Vbe/Ie are mutually inclusive trio. But only 1 can be the quantity directly controlled. The other 2 are indirect. All bjt networks use either Ie, or Ib as the direct quantity, with the other 2 indirect, or incidental. Vbe is never "the engine". The only way Vbe could be the direct control quantity is to connect a very low impedance CVS across b-e jcn. There, the Vbe value literally controls Ib/Ie/Ic. But if you attempt to operate at significant levels of power, your bjt will become a pile of ashes.

Attachments

• abraham_buck_cvtr.pdf
    24.9 KB · Views: 170
Nonsense. No one tries to control Vbe with Ic. It is the other way around. Reciprocity is meaningless with respect to this point.

Reciprocity proves that current is a control agent. Many designs use current to control vbe (ie: integrated logarithmic amplifiers). To say otherwise shows your lack of knowledge and/or experience.
And no one tries to control Vbe through Ic either.

That was a typo. SB IE, as I've said all along.

S&S gives the equations, but they never say one should control Vbe with Ic and Ie

S&S is an introduction to electronics, not semi phy. They only cover the basics. Read a text on semi physics for a change.

As I said before about models, they do a great job for what I device will do, but not for how and why.

That's why you need the theory. We've given it to you, but you don't want to deal with reality.

We've treated the engineering and the theoretical questions. We are engineers, but are schooled on the theory as well, and use it every day. We know what we're talking about.

I never denied that. Both the prof and KA did not submit a extensive proof, but they did explain it a little. As I said before, just their opinions should be respected.

And we have submitted extensive proof, and not just cursory comments. I respect their opinions; I respectfully disagree with them.

And he also worked in a few interesting places.

We all have.

Your links are pretty much worthless. No analysis, no theory and no proof. By contrast, we've provided all the missing parts. Anyone can find links to agree with them, that's why we don't use such lazy arguments. We've done the heavy lifting and shown the answer forwards and backwards. I personally don't care if you think it's voltage or the phase of the moon that controls current, but proof for the current theory has been given over and over and over for pages and pages. Unsubstantiated links are nothing in comparison.

Last edited:
Hi,

I noticed this thread a little late in the history i see, but is this mostly about arguing over whether or not the bipolar transistor is current controlled or voltage controlled again?

My understanding is that the bipolar is charge controlled at the most basic level, but that doesnt seem to matter anyway because when we look at a circuit or design a circuit the way we will interpret that circuit is based on the model we use. One model with give us voltage control, another model current control, etc.

Of course sometimes we'll view the base as being driven by a current so that we might be able to ignore the change in base emitter voltage with temperature and even with base current itself, while other times we want to be able to calculate what is going on in the collector based on the base emitter voltage. We cant seem to restrict ourselves to only one model.

For an interesting example, one given circuit in one mode of operation uses the collector current to control the collector voltage. Am i to say that the base is being driven by a current or a voltage? Well in this case we probably want to note that the base current is mostly independent of base voltage so that we can concentrate on that one parameter and let the other one vary as nature would have it vary. In other words, we would be very concerned about what the base current is (and the Beta) but we wouldnt care in the least what the base emitter voltage was as long as it stayed somewhere between say 0.4v and 0.8v roughly. In control theory this slight variation would be considered as a 'disturbance' and we would take steps to design the circuit such that this disturbance did not affect the circuit in any way that would be significant to the general overall operation in the given application. In this case we actually purposely ignore the base voltage so we cant say that we are controlling the transistor via the base voltage can we.
On the other hand, there are circuits that required explicit knowledge of the base emitter voltage and the app could not survive without knowing what it is for the whole time the circuit is in operation. We would have to say that the transistor is being voltage controlled in that case.

Usually the parameter solved for is going to be the 'controlled' parameter, and the independent parameter is the 'controlling' parameter. I wouldnt want to get any more particular about it than that unless we want to get down to basic physics which would mean we would have to say it is charge controlled, right? ie charges in the base region dictate what current will be allowed to flow.

Last edited:
Thanks for your insightful post, Mr Al. It is important to keep in mind that modeling and control method is dependent in circuit configuration and usage. I've tried to hint of that myself, and the true fact that vbe can be a controlling variable, a controlled variable or simply an inconsequential side effect of base current. But all of your efforts, I feel, are about to be summarily and categorically rejected in the same lazy and thoughtless manner that all other informative posts have been. There will be no alternative analysis or theory, just the same rote recitation of false, misleading misinformation that's been regurgitated over and over, as though repeating a falsehood somehow makes it true. And, your knowledge and experience will also be rejected in favor of some far-flung academic that nobody here ever heard of before; whose entire contribution to the topic has been an offhand, unsupported and unsubstantiated comment.

I agree with the charge control explanation. However, I'll point out for the sake of the discussion, that in BJT's the controlling charge must be a moving charge ( aka current ) There is no operation defied for static charge, as in true voltage devices. And so, one must conclude that at every practical level, the BJT is a CC device. Voltage plays a role, of course as required by physical law, but current is the controlling agent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…