Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does a transformer work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using a transformer to increase current will decrease voltage.

I can get over 30 volts with my generators, some accessories that will be plugged into it will have the transformers in it not the generator. So loosing the voltage will be fine as long as it's in range. If it'll work this way.

30 volts under load? Use a 2-1 transformer it'll half the voltage and double the current (at between 70-90% efficiency)

A 115V input, 48V output transformer would be reasonable close (2.4:1).

Another aproach is to put an capacitor in series with the output of the generator. It will work if the output frequenzy is fixed = fixed generator rpm.

But you must find the generators internal reactance to be able to calculate neccesary capasitance.

Damn those are cool, seis78.

I'm afraid a transformer probably won't work, the stepper generates 4-phase AC in generator mode, a transformer wants single phase. Can you use a lower voltage stepper motor? Otherwise a switching regulator module would be your best bet.

Hi Duffy,

No I can't use a lower voltage stepper motor. But I was thinking to add the transformer to the accessory not the generator. I believe this is how the Plasma ball accessory I use is powered by my generator, but I could be wrong and this is why I am here.
Thanks for any help

Doesn't make any difference where you locate the transformer.

What does accessory in this term means?

As a no native-english I cannot manage to guess. Tried a google search didn't provide any answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back