Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does a blinky/flashing ball work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athosworld

Im begging you to explain me how does a COB flashing toy ball work, please don’t call me “crazy”, “COB obsessed” or “dumb”, Im just trying to learn to make something similar.
Most people say they are mask programmed but this seems too expensive in such a product, I imagine that the function is hard wired onto the silicon.
Please, please explain me how they work.

1656821939213.png

Somewhere I have the data sheet for this IC and how to program it.
1656822027165.png

Those files from when I was designing blinking toys are not on this computer. It might take some time to find the programming manual.

Not certain you can get the part now. We also used 6-pin and 8-pin computers that are easy to program. Cost a little more but you can get just one. No minimum number. I can get a 2x3mm micro that has 8 pins. It is smaller than the CBO.
PIC12F617 = about $1.00usd at 5000 price. 2x3mm
ATTINY412 = $0.50 at 5000 larger package 3.9mm

Attachments

• 1656853356774.png
    1656853356774.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Its probably programmed micro or cpld like part. Could be
programmed at wafer sort or at final test. Flash based.

Real high volumes, in the millions, possibly a full custom.

Super low microcontrollers, many < 10 cents US

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
You have not shared any link or picture of the ball you're talking about. I am not sure which products you're referring to. My son plays with some LED balls. Here is a video about what's inside those balls.

I'd guess a simple inertia switch of some sort to trigger it, plus a minimal oscillator / counter that could be done with a simple CMOS IC?
Or an absolute minimum small pin count MCU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back