Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I mount a speaker / cut a circle in plexiglas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to watch is using '"super glues" with plexi, it will frost the surrounding plastic. Not sure about polycarbonate, never tried it.

Polycarbonate is very sensitive to chemicals. Most polycarbonate parts are painted or "hard coated" like automotive headlights. You have to even be careful with the paint - solvents swell into polycarbonate, cause the plastic to crack, then the solvent evaporates out to leave an ugly bond. Be careful of the adhesives you use. Polyurethane adhesives tend to work well - especially 2k polyurethanes but check the adhesive manufacturers recommendation.

For acrylic, there are "solvent free" or foam safe epoxies that will not cause hazing on acrylics.

A speaker enclosure is supposed to be inert so it does not vibrate or resonate. Your plexiglas is so thin that it will vibrate and resonate which will color the sounds and sound odd.

A speaker enclosure is supposed to be inert so it does not vibrate or resonate. Your plexiglas is so thin that it will vibrate and resonate which will color the sounds and sound odd.

I'm guessing try amplitude will be quite low - like a little museum display intended to just be heard by 1-3 people looking at the collectibles. It won't sound too bad. On the other hand, I would likely pull some narrow-format speakers from a flat-screen TV and tuck them on the bottom edge so they are not so visible.

Point taken. Please understand, however, that in this case, a low-fidelity recording from a low-fidelity recording of a 1940s radio broadcast (which I processed with whatever noise reduction filters (Audacity) that I could find need only be intelligible, which it is - that is not a problem. In fact, the remaining hisses and clicks are rather charming :)

I'm guessing try amplitude will be quite low - like a little museum display intended to just be heard by 1-3 people looking at the collectibles. It won't sound too bad. On the other hand, I would likely pull some narrow-format speakers from a flat-screen TV and tuck them on the bottom edge so they are not so visible.

Yep. It sounds *very* good, for what it is, using either of the speakers that I showed in the pics. I have played for a number of folks and all like it and some give me the usual...oh you should sell that.... None, however, say...hey make me one and I will make two enclosures for you....Nooooooooooo can't say that ;) (and I am just kidding, it is not an offer).

And none of that is of the slightest concern for it's intended use, and you are (as usual) greatly exaggerating the effects.

I knew that.

polycarbonate = Lexan
acrylic = Plexiglass
adhesive strip = band-aid
cotton swap = Q-tip

But, did you know...

Joined to another object, by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis = screwed

I knew that.

polycarbonate = Lexan
acrylic = Plexiglass
adhesive strip = band-aid
cotton swap = Q-tip

Or, for a North American + European view...

Polycarbonate = Makrolon (formerly Bayer, now Covyestro), or Calibre (formerly Dow, now Trinseo) or Lexan (formerly GE, now Sabic).
Acrylic = Perspective or Plexiglas or Lucite
Adhesive bandages = URGO = Elastoplast = Band-aid
Cotton Swabs = Q-tips

Here, now you have an infinity logo of Senior man with a Senior man on his chest with a Senior Man on his chest...

9E0578FB-F48D-44D4-A568-0AA81097A398.jpeg

I'll just call this the Beta version...

Thanks for the help and discussion on this. It does not yet meet my "vision", but it is something.

I'll just call this the Beta version...

Thanks for the help and discussion on this. It does not yet meet my "vision", but it is something.

Did you find the gold, Fred?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back