How do I get faster current flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysun103

I am working on a circuit that has a voltage source of 5 volts. I am trying to charge a 1µF capacitor at a quick rate(preferably under 30 seconds). The problem is that the voltage source has an internal resistance of 120Ω which is slowing down my charge rate. Is there anyway that I can amplify or boost the current flow despite that internal resistance?
Current mirror? Darlington Amplifier? I was thinking of trying these.

Without going into quantum physics, I'm pretty sure that if you have a fixed voltage & a fixed capacitance then you have a fixed charge rate. That is disregarding minor variables like cabling resistance .

Post a schematic of what you have now, including the details of the 5V supply. (and don't double post}

Last edited:
You can't improve the charge rate with a source that has an internal resistance.

But 120 ohms gives a charge time-constant of 120µs with a 1µF capacitor, so if you can't charge it in 30 seconds (or 250,000 time constants) then something else is giving you a problem.

Is this a 1F supercap?

Assuming something like the 1 uf cap gets charged, removed and taken some where, then returned to be recharged, put a 10 or 20 uf cap across the power supply to charge up while the 1 uf is away, then the large cap can dump it's charge into the 1 uf almost instantly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…