Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I get faster current flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysun103

I am working on a circuit that has a voltage source of 5 volts. I am trying to charge a 1µF capacitor at a quick rate(preferably under 30 seconds). The problem is that the voltage source has an internal resistance of 120Ω which is slowing down my charge rate. Is there anyway that I can amplify or boost the current flow despite that internal resistance?
Current mirror? Darlington Amplifier? I was thinking of trying these.

I am working on a circuit that has a voltage source of 5 volts. I am trying to charge a 1µF capacitor at a quick rate(preferably under 30 seconds). The problem is that the voltage source has an internal resistance of 120Ω which is slowing down my charge rate. Is there anyway that I can amplify or boost the current flow despite that internal resistance?

Without going into quantum physics, I'm pretty sure that if you have a fixed voltage & a fixed capacitance then you have a fixed charge rate. That is disregarding minor variables like cabling resistance .

You would have to have another current source. Or take apart the one you have and modify it.

Post a schematic of what you have now, including the details of the 5V supply. (and don't double post}

Last edited:
You can't improve the charge rate with a source that has an internal resistance.

But 120 ohms gives a charge time-constant of 120µs with a 1µF capacitor, so if you can't charge it in 30 seconds (or 250,000 time constants) then something else is giving you a problem.

Is this a 1F supercap?

Assuming something like the 1 uf cap gets charged, removed and taken some where, then returned to be recharged, put a 10 or 20 uf cap across the power supply to charge up while the 1 uf is away, then the large cap can dump it's charge into the 1 uf almost instantly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back