Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I control duration of momentary contact Pushbutton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtdzign

Hi this is my first post here.

I am in the process of making a NeoGeo Pocket Color Mini Arcade.
It was the competitor to the Gameboy Color and has a lot of great
arcade style (Street Fighter, King of Fighters) fighting games. I wanted to make it faithful to a
Neo Geo MVS cabinet.

**broken link removed**

The actual handheld has only two buttons. In the software of many of the games, tapping the A button activates a light punch, while holding it for about 1/3 of a second will activate a Heavy punch. The same goes for Button B which is Kick.

In the Mockup picture above I wanted the red button to be light punch, the Green Button to be Heavy Punch, Yellow Light Kick and Blue Heavy Kick.

I am unsure about the true timings so I will need to do a little trial and error on a bread board to get it right.

I was wondering if it was at all possible to make it so that if I press one button to close the A button circuit for a short duration per one button press.

Then a seperate push button to activate the A button circuit for a longer Duration.

What componenets would I need? Do I need to learn how to program a microcontroller?
I was looking at a 555 timer chip and am not sure if that is what I need in this case, and it looks like the timing is controlled with varying the resistance and capcitors in the circuit. I am unsure if monostable or astable modes would be apropriate for this or what they mean. I just learned those two words today.
Thank you for just reading this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back