Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I make them Duck Off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Goodwin said:
Try telling that to the Brazilian who got shot dead last year! :mad:

Hehehe.
Yes, the englishmen are losing the traditions.
I thought that the english police used to use only truncheons as weapons.

Yes, but it was after a terrorist attack, and he was obviously a foreigner. You'd think they would have wanted to capture a live suspect, and get some information out of him. Not to mention, what if it's not the wrong guy. I know that tourists must be a rare sight in England (for obvious reasons), but occassional some people will do anything these days...

HarveyH42 said:
Yes, but it was after a terrorist attack, and he was obviously a foreigner. You'd think they would have wanted to capture a live suspect, and get some information out of him.

It was an attack by suicide bombers, so you can hardly capture them alive - they just blow themselves to bits, and take hundreds of innocent bystanders with them!.

From what I can gather he ran when ordered to stop, so was shot to prevent him setting off any bomb he may have been carrying (in the rucksack he had).

HarveyH42 said:
Yes, but it was after a terrorist attack, and he was obviously a foreigner. You'd think they would have wanted to capture a live suspect, and get some information out of him. Not to mention, what if it's not the wrong guy. I know that tourists must be a rare sight in England (for obvious reasons), but occassional some people will do anything these days...

Yes, I understand.
But kill the guy with 7 headshots, where are the englishmen courage? Oh my! You were very scared.
(I'm just kidding with those "englishmen" stuff).

Well, I don't think that the English Police did well, even for a terrorist. But the guy, as I remember, didn't help as well. He disobeyed the policemen orders, didn't he?
Like that old saying: "Who does not owes, does not fears."
Well, he did not owe, but he did fear, and ran, and...

I thought they just dropped off the bombs and took off, didn't realize they were going to hang out and watch the excitement. Must have heard in wrong on the news.
Maybe he only learned real english, and didn't quite understand british, I know I have trouble with it. Not sure what they speak in Brazil, sounds a little like spanish, but I couldn't catch even a few words I recognized (maybe they just didn't use anything bad or naughty, mostly what I know).

Anyway, he was really just another victim of the terrorist attack. Brits got scared, and started shooting up foreigners. Kind of why I wish the world would take this middle east situation more seriously. When it was muslem vs muslem on their own land, it just kind of sucked. But when it's spreading to other countries, it's really time for it to stop. Bush is on the right track, but it needs to be on a much greater scale, and not so soft. This is terrorism, these people have been doing it since before Jesus, it's probably in their bible. Would be surprised if they teach bomb making in school. We need to quit being nice about it, and get tougher. They should pick a city, no one goes in, no one leaves. Go door to door, anybody with guns or explosives, is executed on the spot. Move on to the next city. Yeah, maybe there will be some mistakes, maybe some abuses. It's a war, the Iraqis had plenty of time to help rid help theirselves of the problem, but everyday dozens of people die from the suicide bombers. No one can come forward, and rat out the bomb makers? Someone knows a terrorist...

The point is, I don't want to live like that. Knowing everytime I go to a store, a movie, football game (real football, not soccer) there is some chance I could be blown up. One terror attack on US soil was too many, couldn't imagine life with dozens of bombings, every damn day for the rest of my life. I say draw the line, surrender or die.

Optikon said:
Pool cover seems the most logical choice. AS far as I can tell, the OP hasn't tried a real cover (streamers dont count). The OP seems hell-bent on shocking or startling the ducks.

Startling the ducks seems next best idea - they will just stay away from area. Shotgun, slingshots and electrocution have the downside of
1) dead bodies to constantly clean up - who has time for this nonsense?
2) oh yeah, could be fatal / dangerous to humans also. Not very smart.

Pool covers may seem like a logical choice but they have there downside. They cost around $1500, they take up a large amount of space when not in use (biggest problem) and putting them on/taking them off is a real PITA.

What is wrong with shocking/startling them anyway?

As to the downside of shotguns, slingshots and electrocution.
I have already said a shotgun is not an option.
A slingshot simply scares them away but needs a human operator.
I have never mentioned electrocution.

Mike.

HarveyH42 said:
Maybe some sort of underwater noise or vibration would make the ducks relocate. Wonder if you can get waterproof subwoofers, and get one of those stupid punks that drive around rattling peoples windows, to burn you a copy of his CD of annoying crap. Why do they wear earplugs, volume control busted? Anyway, the point is you could really crank the volume, and not hear a thing in your house, or disturb your neighbors (have asked if they were into duck hunting?).

I like the idea of underwater sound/vibration. Anyone know of anyway to accomplish this or suppliers of waterproof sub woofers? I'm assuming low frequency high amplitude sound would be best.

Mike.

HarveyH42 said:
I thought they just dropped off the bombs and took off, didn't realize they were going to hang out and watch the excitement. Must have heard in wrong on the news.

They were wearing the bombs - and blowing themselves up along with innocent bystanders - hence the reason for making absolutely sure they are unable to press a button!.

Did anyone suggest motion sensor and lights? Probably you would have to experiment with aiming the sensor(s) to avoid false triggering. I recall reading something about some industrial situation where there were outdoor cooling ponds with chemicals in the water that would be hazardous to birds. They used an oceanographic dye to deter waterfoul from landing in the pools. Apparently the birds were repelled by certain colours. Maybe coloured lights would help?

Somewhere I saw- read about someone who trains dogs for this purpose. Apparently its a big problen on some golf courses. MIght look into this before you start charging up the whole ecosystem.
zkt

The ducks might like a sub-woofer and invite their friends to come over and hear it.

audioguru said:
The ducks might like a sub-woofer and invite their friends to come over and hear it.

Not when I get Max Bygraves on the job.
**broken link removed**
Mike.

audioguru said:
What are you going to connect the shocker to?
If you put the high voltage between two probes and put the probes in the water then the water will short the voltage. Ducks or people in between probably won't feel anything.
Suspend some wires just above the water and you will shock anything that gets in between.
You're right, a shocker won't work, it's qute hard to recieve a shock when you and an object are totally imersed in water. If you fell into a deep swimming pool holding an electric drill whether you recieve a shock at all would depend on whether the drill in your hand is submersed before you are, if it is then all the power will go directly to ground via the water (which is a better conductor than you) so it won't shock you. However if you when in feet first then you would only be shocked while the drill is out of the water which could stun you so you drown or if the water is too shallow for your hand to go under kill you.

Having said all of this I don't know how electric eeles do it.

Well Hell! Its time we found out. Every so often I wonder about that too. Mythbusters is amusing but they dont satisfy my need for in-depth coverage, or even scientfic reasoning , for that matter, alotof the time. I vote that the next person reading this researches this topic with more than a half-assed effort and reports back forthwith. I further submit that Nigel Goodman, he`s a moderator isnt he ?, be charged with opening a new forum dealing with such issues as this, and ensue its proper operation.

zkt

I wonder if a Stobe Light would have any effect, since they come to sleep. Wouldn't the bright flash keep them awake all night?

**broken link removed**
This links to an FM radio at Home Depot for $24.95 (US). If you look at prices on just the speakers, worth taking apart and rewiring. Maybe good as is...

Did some searching, and seems like in pool speakers go for $200-600, each. But, probably highend stereo.

Damn good idea ! Add an amp ( ?lm386?) iand speaker if needed. A 555 timer could run the whole operation. If they get used to the pattern use a PIC or play with tempature variations on the RC timing components.
{Supppose that qualifies as an answer.
Nice thing about talking to yourself is that you`re guaranteed an intelligent conversation even if it doesn`t go anywhere.}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back