Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I make them Duck Off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I am having a problem with ducks in my pool. I know it doesn't sound like much of a problem but the amount of Pooh these things produce is incredible.

I have bought some stuff called "no more ducks" which changes the surface tension of the water so the ducks don't like it and clear off. I've not put it in yet as you have to reduce the chlorine level first. Hopefully, this stuff will work and they won't come back. If they do come back, your not supposed to reuse it if the pool is going to be used by people. It also cost $70 a go and so it's not really a long term solution.

So, I would like to find an electronic solution to the problem.

My first idea was some kind of IR detector linked to a noise maker of some type. Maybe incorporate a flash as well (it tends to be night time when they are around).

My second idea is some form of electric shock. I have an electric fence unit that I could put in either end of the pool. I haven't tried it yet as the unit is currently keeping horses secure in our paddock - I should be able to try it tomorrow as the horses are of to a show. The pool is 11mtrs long and is salt water (not enough to taste) so should conduct quite well. My thoughts on this are the ducks will be less conductive than the water and therefore won't feel it. My other thought is, could this be in anyway dangerous to humans.

Any ideas, flames, thoughts, criticisms etc. welcome.

Mike.

I am just going to put a note of caution about non-lethal shocks might be lethal if experienced continously in the water might cause a person to be unable to get out and unable to stay afloat. Misfires are always a possibility you know?

This surface tension stuff...you sure it's safe? I'm just wondering. I know if you a little bit of detergent or something spills into a pond it kills all the water striders because it lowers the surface tension so they can no longer walk on water.

I have just calculated the output of the fence unit. The unit can be powered for a month from a 12V 5AH battery and it sends out a pulse every 2 seconds. I make that 12*5*3600/(30*24*3600)*2 = 166mJ. Is a sixth of a Joule a lot of energy? I envisage putting the unit in overnight and that the ducks would not return after 1 shock. I'm tending to think that the water will effectively short the unit and it won't produce any shock at all.

The surface tension stuff has to be non foaming. The commercial stuff contains "Active constituents: 100g/L Benzalkonium Chloride, 23.5g/L Alcohol Ethoxylate " !!

Mike.
Edit, changed calculation.

Last edited:
Pommie said:
I have just calculated the output of the fence unit. The unit can be powered for a month from a 12V 5AH battery and it sends out a pulse every 2 seconds. I make that 12*5*3600/(30*24*3600)*2 = 166mJ. Is a sixth of a Joule a lot of energy? I envisage putting the unit in overnight and that the ducks would not return after 1 shock. I'm tending to think that the water will effectively short the unit and it won't produce any shock at all.

The surface tension stuff has to be non foaming. The commercial stuff contains "Active constituents: 100g/L Benzalkonium Chloride, 23.5g/L Alcohol Ethoxylate " !!

Mike.
Edit, changed calculation.

This whole electrical shock thing with a pool is a BAD idea, it's not going to work. Just my opinion but you should forget it - you'll just waste a bunch of time. And potentially put yourselves and others at risk. You're not going to be worried about ducks much if someone gets killed. If you do want to build something electronic, spend that time on another project.

The duck thing is begging for a "LOW TECH" solution. Pool cover when not in use? The other suggestions are good. Try those, they are easy and safe.

Optikon said:
The duck thing is begging for a "LOW TECH" solution.

Something involving an "orange sauce" would be a tasty solution!

JimB

What are you going to connect the shocker to?
If you put the high voltage between two probes and put the probes in the water then the water will short the voltage. Ducks or people in between probably won't feel anything.
Suspend some wires just above the water and you will shock anything that gets in between.

DO NOT USE ELECTRIC SHOCK!!!!!! I am serious. The outcome of sending power into your pool will be worse than letting them poop in your pool. When electricity archs underwater, it will split the water into hydrogend and oxegen(electrolysis). That isn't goint to be your problem though.

When the water is splitting, it will also separate the chlorine, iron, copper, zinc, and all of the other chemicals and minerals in your pool. While thoughs chemicals and minerals are floating arround, they will also(very quickly) corrode your anode and cathode. If the anode and cathode are copper, then you will get coperoxide brewing in your pool.

So, what i am getting at, is; by the end of the week, your pool will have approximately 1cm of green sludge floating on the top. Yes, this will get rid of your duck problem, but it will also create a health hazard(not kidding).

You may be asking yourself; "Why should i trust you?". Well, i have done some experimenting with electrolysis and fuel cells. I will just simply tell you; I got very, very sick from some of the biproducts(I'm not sure what will happend with chlorine in the water, but it probley won't be pretty). Please, for your safty, and the safty of others; DO NOT USE A SHOCKING SYSTEM.

Last edited:
I vote for the shottie also. And a dog, depends on how big the pond, that is.
Hmm, maybe even just the dog, especially if it has a sense of humour. One I had thoroughly enjoyed sneaking up on things and letting out a wet-your-pants yelp from as near as possible, then legging it.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Plus a shotgun!.
DOn't listen to Nigel. he has no experience in dealing with animal annoyances- they killed off all the annoying animals in Britain a long time ago.

Last edited:
Lets not get peoples nationalities envolved with this. It is very rude.

Marks256 said:
Lets not get peoples nationalities envolved with this. It is very rude.
Nah, Nigel was the one that said they killed off all the annoying living things along ago in a discussion about mosquitoe zappers and fire ants.

Last edited:
Why not use a scarecrow?

Or maybe go with Nigel's idea.
I remember that in Japan, the rice fields used to have a device that simulated shotgun fires, from time to time, to scare the birds.

Ok, just so he is fine with it...

Hayato may be on to something. I remember getting a magazine that had a thing that looked like a potato gun on a tripod. If it detected movement, it would make a loud "Bang!". It wouldn't shoot a projectile, so it was fairly safe. It all ran on a few batteries, and a 20lb propane tank. It was also water-proof, so if it rained, or if the ducks got revengefull...

He said the ducks are a problem at night so I don't think a loud bang would be an ideal solution.

Just use a poolcover or throw a bunch of floats into the pool or something.

Snapping turtles love ducks! Or how about crocodiles? Either one will either eat your ducks, or give you something different to worry about. Probably both.

Yeah! An alligator snapper would be awesome...but wouldnt an alligator snapper be eaten by a croc if you used both?

Yeah, our only failure was Canadians!
Ok, now that is funny stuff!

Why don't you just get an inflatable 'gator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back