Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How Can I install 60W/55W Halogen Bulb In My Bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you want better lights, but not HID? - I presume there's no legal problems with HID in India (in the UK HID conversions are illegal).

HID would cure all your problems, lot's more light for much less power consumption.
Yes there's no legal problems but still wont prefer coz it gives u the focus in just one place....i think u haven't read that
Yellow lights is most better that white & blue bulbs coz it cuts the fog and water, u got better visibility & chances of accident reduced.
HID needs constant power so bigger battery is required so installation cost is high including kits. It also hurts the eye of the other drivers....so i don't prefer
Another reason, I'll be moving to Canada for my higher studies after few months.

So if u like HID....u should read that.

Yes there's no legal problems but still wont prefer coz it gives u the focus in just one place....i think u haven't read that
Yellow lights is most better that white & blue bulbs coz it cuts the fog and water, u got better visibility & chances of accident reduced.

Correctly specified HID lights are supposed to be better in fog and rain, and upgrades are illegal in the UK specifically because standard headlights aren't designed for them, so don't focus them correctly as proper HID lights do.

HID needs constant power so bigger battery is required so installation cost is high including kits. It also hurts the eye of the other drivers....so i don't prefer
Another reason, I'll be moving to Canada for my higher studies after few months.

So if u like HID....u should read that.

I read it, it's only one personal opinion.

Ii you are using the whole alternator now and running through a rectifier then you don't need what I was talking about. All you need now is a big Zener diode to clamp the systems peak voltage down like they do on some old style bike electrical systems. ;)

Or one of these to do it all, three phase in regulated 12 volts DC out. $25.90
**broken link removed**

Ii you are using the whole alternator now and running through a rectifier then you don't need what I was talking about. All you need now is a big Zener diode to clamp the systems peak voltage down like they do on some old style bike electrical systems. ;)

My father have Royal Enfield and he has few (new sealed pack) regulator rectifier of that bike, I can use it, but I don't want...i dont know why :D
Actually, I've an attitude of "doing things yourself", i already had that regulator created, so all i need to do is to replace the Zener Diode but of what rating?
Also a fuse of what rating would be fine to save my coil from being overloaded?

and what do you think about 24v 75w rated bulb? Am I going excess? :rolleyes:

Edit: See this how it looks like **broken link removed**
even that smaller one will work like a charm & the bigger one....is too big for me! :)

Last edited:
Not sure really. The factory built ones tend to be fairly efficient.

I have a number of them that are used on lawn and garden engines that are smaller than a pack of playing cards that manage to handle 20 amps at 14 volts output without getting overly hot.
My guess is the use some form of SCR based phase shifting to regulate their output opposed to just doing a bulk load dump voltage clamping the big zener diode based ones do.

The regulators you have shown are single phase AC input and being you cant get enough power off of a single phase in the first place as is I have no idea how they will or will not work as you have it shown in your diagram.

My guess is the use some form of SCR based phase shifting to regulate their output opposed to just doing a bulk load dump voltage clamping the big zener diode based ones do.

I've googled and found SCR based regulators used for very high voltage for running home appliances and my stator coil had only 1 phase & above ebay link regulator is three phase, so thats not gonna work. Only single phase regulator is required.
My father bike is full DC using 75W bulb having about 9 amp battery and everything is working fine.

My father bike is full DC using 75W bulb having about 9 amp battery and everything is working fine.
So whats that say about keeping your light power source single phase? :p

To me this is all starting to sound like an unnecessarily complicated way to not solve a simple issue. :confused:

So whats that say about keeping your light power source single phase? :p

To me this is all starting to sound like an unnecessarily complicated way to not solve a simple issue. :confused:
I haven't told him anything about this. Does a three phase RR will work on single phase?

I've setup 12V 60W/55W bulb.
Here are some pics
light is quite good
I will try 24v 75W as it will take less amp 3.1

There is no regulator required, no rewind!

First one is Low Beam and other two are High Beam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back