How can I get this treadmill controller running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that "REV" stands for "revolution" or "start motor revving" command. I don't think that controller has the reversing ability after all. I tried to trick the controller by connecting the 13v output to the REV but no luck.
Doesn't the console have a Reverse button? Some treadmills do (e.g. the Landice L7-RTM-REV). The REV terminal is possibly expecting/sending a logic-level signal, so connecting 13V to it may have caused damage.

Hey, Suat.
Yes Bob. Its like new now.
Good to hear that, thus far, we've done no damage

Typical PWM traces:

Note that the amplitude of the pulses is always the same. What varies is the difference in the duration of the pulse length. This difference is what speeds up (longer duration) or slows down (shorter pulse length) a motor.

In your controller, the IGBT (40N60) is really designed to act like a pulsed switch - simply on or off, for varying periods of time (with very fast transitions), and it reacts to a very low input signal level (saturation ≈ 2.1Vdc = 100% IGBT conduction). Thus, the pot mod you are considering won't (can't, really) work.

I apologize for not noticing this earlier.

And that's what lead me to suggest using the console/motor as is.

<EDIT>Frequency is also an issue, but for the sake of the argument, I didn't mention it.

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

Thanks. I have already ordered two PWM drives from China. They are on the way. One is 1500w and other is 4000w rated for 210v PM motors. Good thing, they are big. Not very small like my beloved KB drive because its components are too small to solder and replace.

As for the controller we are fighting, I think I need an oscilloscope to figure what kind of signal/voltage actually send and receive the controller and the console, right? Then maybe some Arduino work would help bringing it to life. This may be be a winter project for me. Because I'm building a CNC lathe from scratch and I'll need a good PWM drive for it to drive the spindle motor.

I thank you all (especially BOB) for your hospitality and help.

Kind regards from Turkey

Hey, Suat.

You're more than welcome.

And yes, an oscilloscope is an enormously useful tool. There are many to chose from but I would suggest a DSO (digital storage oscilloscope), like one of these:
https://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-dso-note-ii-oscilloscope.html. And I have one of these:**broken link removed** that is very handy for holding the 'scope.

I have a similar device and I have used it for years. They are not the best nor the most capable but for the money and the type of electronic work I do (and what I perceive as your usage needs) , they're perfect.

Good luck with the CNC project. That sounds like a lot of fun .

Bob

Hey, Suat.

Just let us know if you have any questions. Tons of experience on this forum.

It's a dual trace (two input channels) device.

You might find that you need to observe two, simultaneous and/or interactive signals at the same time.

For instance, a trigger pulse and a subsequent result signal.

Any questions on the 'scope's use or configuration are gladly accepted .

Hi again,

I'm here again with another stupid question. I have 2 large contactors in the control box of my lathe. They are there for the reversing job.

The new controller I recently ordered is slightly bigger than my old KB drive and there is no free room for it in the control box. So I thought if I could replace the contactors with smaller relays then I can make some room for the new controller. However, I don't know how to wire the relays.

If you help me on wiring these I'll be very appreciated.

The relays are Finder 40.61.8.012.0000 (with 8 pin) :https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latching-relays/7083188/

My 1-0-1 switch hast two lay4_be101 NO element. (one for left and one for right)

The things I have look like this:

**broken link removed**

Hey, Suat.

How were the original relays wired? How was the reversal controlled (I'm assuming it could not be reversed if the motor was turning).

Simplest example of wiring for a motor reversal, using 2 SPDT relays:

The relay control wiring will depend on your current set up.

I just have the 1-0-1 switch (same in the drawing) and 2 contactor's in the box. That's all. And a power switch but that's out of the circle.

I don't know. The push button in the link has 4 contact blocks where mine has only 2.

Mine is a rotary switch. I'll take a pic today.

Hi again,

The new controller just arrived. It's twice the size compared to my old KB drive. Unfortunately there is no free room for it in the control box. So I need to figure how to replace the big contactors with smaller relays.

**broken link removed**

Azalin,

I'm still unsure what the switching scheme you refer to (1-0-1) means.

And are there two of the NO switches (LAY4-BE101 as you showed in Post#53) or just one?

And where do the relays you refer to figure into the switching?

I guess I need you to explain to us (or at least me, as a non-lathe savvy person) what the step by step process is for starting, stopping and reversing the spindle motor.
... I need to figure how to replace the big contactors with smaller relays ...
Finally, what are the "big contactors"?? Are they the LAY4-BE101 switches?

Sorry for the confusion. I just don't have a clear picture in my mind of what, exactly, you need/want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…