Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I get this treadmill controller running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a couple of observations after working with TM controllers and spindles for CNC etc.
1/ I would be leery of using those relays to reverse a 2.5HP motor, if you happen to switch them when on a load, you could get contact destruction due to the maintained arc on switching.
2/ For this application the PWM output to switch the motor is alot more efficient and quieter at low rpm than the SCR bridge type in the MC-80 and cheaper KB controllers, the KB PWM is preferred, but more $$.
3/ Most TM controllers prevent running at any thing above 0rpm on the controller, this is to prevent the TM from running as soon as it is switched on if the Pot or control is at a high position.
The MC-80 is like this, it has to be zero'd to run. In the KB controllers there is an inhibit input I1 I2 that should be used when reversing the DC in order to reverse the motor, this causes the motor to come up through acceleration automatically.
4/ One source of reversing contactors is Telemecanique 3ph motor reverser's, they have a electrical and mechanical interlock feature, fairly cheap on ebay, but the foot print will be a bit larger.
Max.

Hi Bob,

Please see the attached images for the switch and the contactors.

The switch is a 3-position (left-off-right) rotary switch. And the contactors are 220v.

By the way, the relays that I mentioned in #53 are single coil relays. I thought they were double coiled so ignore them.

IMG_20161124_221359.jpg
IMG_20161124_221425.jpg

Hi,

I received the new Chinese drive but I'm struggling with it. Explaining the problem is beyond my English but I'll try my best.

- The drive has two motor output socket
- The drive has a 3 pin potentiometer connection
- The drive has a 2 pin enable/disable connection

When I connect the motor directly to either socket on the drive then it all works fine. But when I add two contactors between the motor and the drive then the problem occurs. Let me explain this a little. I think the drive needs to sense the motor physically because when the I turn my selector switch to OFF position the connection between the drive and the motor the drive goes into error mode and stops working until I restart the whole system. Very stupid design.

To cheat the drive I added a small 18w bulb to the other motor output on the drive. This way the drive thinks a motor is connected. This solved the problem but I'm not comfortable this way. I need to find another solution.

Can somebody please translate this English text to English? :)

What excitation coil? Why do one need to connect the coils to the drive? The motor has only 2 leads (+ and ground) and that's all.

**broken link removed**

The L+ and L- terminals would be used only if the motor had a separately energised field coil. Your motor doesn't have such a coil.

OK that's good to know. Thanks.

The Chinese drive is rated as 1500watts but in reality it's almost the half of my old KBWS-25D drive. That's 650watts. In the end, I'm not satisfied at all.

Glad you have it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back