Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How Can I Display a Circuit in a Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisStraub

The majority of my questions are about problems in the Floyd book. When I'm unsure of an answer to a problem, I draw the circut in MultiSim and try to work through the problem using a Multimeter. However this doesn't always work as MultiSim displays the correct answer but I can't figure how to arrive at the answer. Is there any way I can display a MultiSim circuit design so I can be very specific about my questions. The extension is .MSM which unfortunately is not a valid attachment for your website. If I can't, is there any way I can draw a circuit and make it display as part of a thread. This would be extremely helpful to me as a picture is worth a thousand words..............

Anything on the screen of your pc is copied with the Print Scrn key. Then paste it into Microsoft Paint program and save it as a PNG schematic.
You are still a Noob so a moderator must accept any attachment to make sure it is not SPAM.

Anything on the screen of your pc is copied with the Print Scrn key. Then paste it into Microsoft Paint program and save it as a PNG schematic.
You are still a Noob so a moderator must accept any attachment to make sure it is not SPAM.

If you just want to copy an active window on the screen, select it, press and hold down the 'ALT' key and at the same time press the PRNT SCN key.

Nothing will seem to happen when you press the PRNT SCN key!!, but the image is copied to the clip board.

As explained, then paste into your picture editor.:)

Last edited:

Attachments

• xample.JPG
    xample.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Uploaded MultiSim/Word Document

I don't have Paint, but you gave me a great idea. I copied MultiSim into Word. I then used the Attachment function to upload the file from my computer. It uploaded ok, but I can't find it??? I want you to see the upload in this REPLY. How do I show an uploaded file in either a Thread or a Reply? These may be simplistic questions but I'm not use to the software for this site so navigation is cumbersome. Thanks.............

As a new user you will have to wait for it to be moderated

Yes it worked, but you're better off posting a circuit as a GIF or a PNG than a PDF.
Agree.

For scanned documents (handwritings) - Use JPG (don't scale it too small).

For screen copy (if using windows) I recomend Faststone Image Viewer and save the pictures as PNG. It gives good image compression (small size compared to other formats).

Vector format like GIF or PNG do not scale well and the result is horrible.

Many GIFs after scaling is unreadable as many have found out on numerous websites.

JPG, thanks to its fuzziness, scales better than GIF or PNG. A circuit starts its life as JPG but then save as GIF can sometimes be even bigger in file size.

The guideline is, try both GIF/PNG and JPG format and then decide on which to post. File size and clarity matters and sometimes one cannot have both.

Vector format like GIF or PNG do not scale well and the result is horrible.

Many GIFs after scaling is unreadable as many have found out on numerous websites.

You shouldn't need to rescale it, create it at the correct size in the first place.

GIF and PNG are also NOT vector format.

JPG, thanks to its fuzziness, scales better than GIF or PNG. A circuit starts its life as JPG but then save as GIF can sometimes be even bigger in file size.

You should never start with a JPG, as their quality is far too low. Once it's been JPEG'd you can't get it back to GIF or PNG, it's like trying to recreate the original egg from the scrambled eggs.

For electronically generated diagrams, use GIF or PNG, the quality is 100% and the file size is FAR smaller than a fuzzy JPG.

This is a test of the .jpg format for the circuit diagram

It's 197KB - far, far larger than it needs to be.

First obvious thing is not to post such a massive image, it's much bigger than my screen size, and consists mainly of empty space. Give thought to your attachments, minimise white space, and crop to a sensible size.

Posting an image like that (a simple diagram) as a GIF/PNG will also probably be less than 1/4 of the size of a JPG.

Last edited:
And here, for comparison, the same file executed in GIF, JPEG and PNG:

GIF 18K

JPG 69K

PNG 209K

VERY bad comparison though, the PNG file is huge because it's derived from the JPEG, where the quality has already been lost (you can clearly see the JPEG defects in the PNG file).

You need to convert the JPG from a 100% quality format, not the other way round - or was this just a deliberate attempt to make PNG look bad?.

These are the fuzzy ways that most JPG file type schematics are posted:

Attachments

• fuzzy JPG.PNG
    fuzzy JPG.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 135
  • fuzzy JPG file type again.PNG
    fuzzy JPG file type again.PNG
    15.6 KB · Views: 133
  • fuzzy JPG file type again and again.PNG
    fuzzy JPG file type again and again.PNG
    12.8 KB · Views: 138
GIF 18K

JPG 69K

PNG 209K

VERY bad comparison though, the PNG file is huge because it's derived from the JPEG, where the quality has already been lost (you can clearly see the JPEG defects in the PNG file).

You need to convert the JPG from a 100% quality format, not the other way round - or was this just a deliberate attempt to make PNG look bad?.

They were all derived from the GIF file.

Edit: Or at least they were meant to be. I would not deliberately favor one over the other for I don't care. I was merely showing the difference in the three methods on this system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back