Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I connect my circuit to power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurenhrv

I am trying to build an escape room puzzle, where someone holds a key fob up to a sensor and a maglock opens, and I went online to buy something that I assumed was ready-in-box but instead they sent me the photo attached which I'm 99% sure was originally a car immobilizer and is now being used as a sensor with attached output. My questions is - how do I connect this to power? I have some knowledge in electrical engineering, enough to recognize most of the parts here but this is the one mystery I cannot solve. The whole thing I assume takes 12V power. Does anyone have an insight into how to give it power, or even how to set it up in general?
In photo: circuit board in the center, sensor (large, black) just off center right, attached chip up top/middle is output (for maglock), coiling wires off the right side is just a singular LED light, and included fobs are top-right. The rest is a mystery.
38453325142_61904fd61f_h.jpg

Welcome to ETO!
The whole thing I assume takes 12V power.
It is not safe to assume that. You need to check the specifications of the items shown.

As Alec said, search for the documentation to determine what voltage it requires. But once you've figured it out, head to your local thrift store or PC recycler and look for a "wall wart" switching power supply with the right voltage and ample current. cell phone supplies provide 5 volts, and 12 volts is also common for old LCD monitor supplies and all other kinds of uses.

It looks to me like it has already been connected to power -- too much.

upload_2017-11-17_14-45-35.png

What's the other side look like? Warranty? What's on the end of the "lampcord" (black cord with a white polarization stripe)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back