Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

House Centepedes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

As much as I enjoy dropping the heftiest electronics textbook on the damn things, I still perefer to live in a centepede-free environmenet. Because I live in a ground floor townhouse locatted right in the public park, I naturaly get spiders, ants and other crawlers that are good source of food for the centepede. However, spiders and ants don't bother me in any way, they just seem to mind their own business so I tend to leave them alone. Ants seem to be the most conservative out of all the bugs in my home, they never come up to the bedroom or bathroom. Centepedes are the most nastiest creatures that freak me out every time. I hate seeing one crawl at night across my bedroom floor or wall ( I can actualy see them with lights off ). Can someone please share effective methods for getting rid of these things?

-Thanks

As much as I enjoy dropping the heftiest electronics textbook on the damn things, I still perefer to live in a centepede-free environmenet. Because I live in a ground floor townhouse locatted right in the public park, I naturaly get spiders, ants and other crawlers that are good source of food for the centepede. However, spiders and ants don't bother me in any way, they just seem to mind their own business so I tend to leave them alone. Ants seem to be the most conservative out of all the bugs in my home, they never come up to the bedroom or bathroom. Centepedes are the most nastiest creatures that freak me out every time. I hate seeing one crawl at night across my bedroom floor or wall ( I can actualy see them with lights off ). Can someone please share effective methods for getting rid of these things?

-Thanks

Yeah, they like crawling across the floor during the day time and night time. RIght across the floor! They are the only thing I kill on sight in my basement. I think they're the only thing that can breed indoors as well. I leave the spiders alone since they don't move around unless it's night time, and even then they will hug the walls.

Centipedes enjoy moist environments, so make sure your dwelling remains dry. Secondly, centipedes will go where the food is, so if you have ants and other small arthropods running about your domicile then perhaps this is like a Eat at Joes sign for these multi-legged creatures. Lastly secure all small crevices that might be an open invitation to come on in... :)

Where I live, we have a problem with centipedes as well as sink bugs. The centipedes were easy to take care of, we just bug spray down around the outside of the house and that was that. We also have a room in the basement that we never use, so we made it the perfect place where spiders can go and make a web or what not (what ever they do), and the centipedes and other bugs are attracted to that room because of food or something else (we have large wolf spiders in the room).

The stink bugs were harder to take care of though, the spiders won't even go near them, and you can't squish them... One of the cats will alert us when she has found a stink bug by just staring at it until someone gets it. I finaly got sick of cleaning them up so I made a makeshift stink bug trap that uses a 100W light bulb to create a humid envirnment, and then I just pluged a transformer in backwords into the outlet (turns 120V into about 1kV) Needless to say, the stink bugs are no longer a problem... :)

(or you could always adopt a camel spider as a pet)

I don't have a centepede problem, but I have a millipede one. I don't mind millipedes; I actually like them. Just hate it when they are in my house. I don't like feeling like I'm camping in my own house!

Last edited:
I like insects and I don't mind them, even in the house, as long as they're not causing me any trouble.

Centipedes enjoy moist environments, so make sure your dwelling remains dry. Secondly, centipedes will go where the food is, so if you have ants and other small arthropods running about your domicile then perhaps this is like a Eat at Joes sign for these multi-legged creatures. Lastly secure all small crevices that might be an open invitation to come on in... :)

I didn't know ants were on the menu?

If they come to my house we have those little ants that get into everything. Those things are so plentiful most likely the Table and the menu is flipped :D

Last edited:
At my house the ants favorite food apparently is termites. Normally this would seem to be good, but the ants eat the termites after they have feasted on my house.

At my house the ants favorite food apparently is termites. Normally this would seem to be good, but the ants eat the termites after they have feasted on my house.

Funny, I was just watching Nova in a special about this apparently in Africa they have some people who try to call or bring the Ants to their huts infested Termites.

The big Guard Termites will snap the mandibles chopping Ants in half, they make a really interesting noise when this happens as if they were spring loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back