Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone Else Havee a House with Mystery Noises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Scott

There was an loud noise in my house like a lion or tiger grunting. I could not tell where the noise was coming from. It happened only occasionally during daylight hours in springtime. It seemed to be omnidirectional. At first I thought that it was the same noise that I had heard only once before: Once before somehow the sewer system had made a mighty sucking noise and sucked empty the contents of every drain trap in the house. Toilets were mysteriously dry. If you put your ear near the drain of any sink or toilet you could hear something like traffic noise. That was not the case this time. Traps and toilets had normal water in them.

I checked the drains. There was no water loss from any trap, but the noise seemed to be loudest from the drain in the basement floor next to the water heater. I cursed the plumbing in this badly constructed piece of junk of a house. I tolerated the noise for a few years. Finally my son noticed that the noise was made by a woodpecker tapping on the cap of the plumbing stack (vent) poking out of the roof. He's still there. Every spring he announces his presence to the lady woodpeckers in the neighbourhood by rat-tat-tatting on the hood of my plumbing stack every couple of days. It must work for him. He must be THE macho ladies' man! I wonder how long these blue breasted woodpeckers live?

Also, I wonder why they install hoods on plumbing stacks? To shield the sewer from getting rainwater in? :p

Last edited:
1) None of my drain vents have hoods. Of course, the vents from bathroom fans do have covers to keep the rain out.

2) I hate woodpeckers. I have a log home.

3) I your home brick/cinder block or studs/plaster/drywall?

John

I used to live in a duplex that was well over 200 years old. Used to be a tavern way back when. There were always noises coming from the attic, that sounded exactly like footsteps. Of course, there was absolutely nobody there. Then I moved to the place I live now. I built a shed to store some of my stuff, with a roof made of sheet metal. For some reason, the woodpeckers couldn't figure out that they weren't going to get through it. I had to put up with hours of that darn woodpecker beating on the metal. They also tended to peck on the utility pole outside my livingroom window. Terribly obnoxious. :p

Bob:

These are not woodpeckers, they ar red-shafted flickers. A very shy and beautyfull bird of the PNW. We used to live in West Van and often, in the spring, at 3-4am, they would do that., and yes, it is for atracting mates

Now for the purpose of the cap on the ventstack go google. E

And one more thing: We used to have a premier of Dutch origin in this province. Once asked, why the Dutch wear wooden shoes, he answered: It is to keep the woodpeckers of their heads! E

I have a wife now so I just blame her. :p

(Especially in the bathroom.) :eek:

I have a wife now so I just blame her. :p

(Especially in the bathroom.) :eek:

From a guy that proclaimed he would never be shackled to a woman :p So hows that going :)

Last edited:
From a guy that proclaimed he would never be shackled to a woman So hows that going

When did I say that? :confused:

Actualy its going very well. We get along great laugh a lot and life is good! :D

She finaly got her Green card and SSN now so she can go to work too! :D

Actualy its going very well. We get along great laugh a lot and life is good! :D

Congrats tcm. Good luck to the both of you!

Now, don't make me dig through your old post:) Glad it is working out. My wife is fun to have around so life is good for us both...

I once lived in a house that had a metal pipe for the fireplace chimney. One fine spring morning a woodpecker (or something) started jackhammering on that thing; it sounded like a badly tuned alarm clock bell. Talk about a wake-up call! :D

I always hear stupid pigeons through my fireplace... Obnoxious bird.

Last edited:
You may have said before, but please tell me again, where in the world does Mrs TCMTech hail from?
I had always assumed the USA, but obviously not.

JimB

On the sublect of noises in the house, a few years ago while I was laying in bed early in the morning half awake, there was a loud tapping noise coming from the room next door (my radio and electronics room).
It finally turned out to be a bird (rook or crow) tapping on the window.
Why the bird thought that it was a good idea to tap on the window I have no idea, unless it could see something on the window sill that interested it and was hoping to get at it.
After a few days the tapping stopped.

Fast forward one year and the tapping started again, only to stop after a few days.
The tapping has not returned since.

JimB

Long lost relative who came back as a bird?

Oh, back to Bob Scott's question, my house talks too. Going from inside out, the walls are plaster (not drywall), metal lath, cinder block, airspace (1 to 2"), and brick. The inside moves relative to the outside and periodically makes little noises. It is not too loud, usually, but can be heard if you have a ear to the wall. That is why I asked about his construction.

John

Yes, I rmember seeing the photo in that thread.

I don't CARE, as in it gives me a problem, I am just curious.

For what ever reason, if I come across someone who is from some different place, it interests me to know where that place is.
Nothing sinister, just curiosity.

JimB

(Currently in Singapore airport, on his way home from playing the part of a strange looking foreigner in Sarawak for the last three weeks, where I was asked many times where I came from).

I am still trying to figure out, what girl in her right mind would marry that ugly SOB :)

J/K it's all love brotha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back