Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hookup WIre Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
I am curious. On websites like DIgikey, Mouser, or Jameco 22AWG 100' PVC Stranded Tinned Copper wire costs $30-$50 a roll. But on other websites that sell "no name wire" it goes for $$7 a roll. All the specs and certification seems to be the same...

What on earth is responsible for that price difference?

I am curious. On websites like DIgikey, Mouser, or Jameco 22AWG 100' PVC Stranded Tinned Copper wire costs $30-$50 a roll. But on other websites that sell "no name wire" it goes for $$7 a roll. All the specs and certification seems to be the same...

What on earth is responsible for that price difference?

hi DK,
The D, M and J prices are OTT.!!

You can get spec 7/0.22 equipment wire for around $10 for 100mtrs, in various colours, in the UK.

Yeah, I got some rolls of overpriced ($50 per friggin roll!) Alpha Wire I bought a while ago and wanted to top it off with a couple more colours. That was before it occured to me that Digikey ripped you off on wire (Mouser is $30, but that's still expensive). But I'm fighting the OCD urge to get more Alpha wire because it's the same brand, and I tend liking...nay...needing things to be the same brand. I could get 10 colours at the cheaper price for the price of two rolls of Alpha wire.

EDIT: It never even occured to me to check at my local electronics shop for wire since they are almost overpriced on everything...but their wire is cheaper than Mouser's too (same brand).

Last edited:
Yeah, I got some rolls of overpriced ($50 per friggin roll!) Alpha Wire I bought a while ago and wanted to top it off with a couple more colours. That was before it occured to me that Digikey ripped you off on wire (Mouser is $30, but that's still expensive). But I'm fighting the OCD urge to get more Alpha wire because it's the same brand, and I tend liking...nay...needing things to be the same brand. I could get 10 colours at the cheaper price for the price of two rolls of Alpha wire.

EDIT: It never even occured to me to check at my local electronics shop for wire since they are almost overpriced on everything...but their wire is cheaper than Mouser's too (same brand).

hi,
You can get bargain multicore wire from your local scrap merchant.

Old post office phone multicore cable, with solid wire is ideal for some project work.

Have not tried Alphawire.

I purchased solid 22awg NTE brand wire which works. After a exhaustive surfing I found it for about $10/100ft several years ago.

Last summer I found similar wire at Jameco for $6 and it used less insulation which made it a little nice to work with. I am thinking the Jameco wire may have been surplus stock because the selection was limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back