Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is required for a wireless network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Hi All,

the info provided in several computer shops in Phetchabun is somewhat poor. They have a lot of stuff, but don't know about the application.

That's the situation: Internet connection is done using a wireless modem (CATCDMA) which plugs into a USB port. A small office network is established via a CAT5 cable between computers and a "TP-Link" Ethernet switch.

The network worked alright until we got two puppies who like the taste of the cable and chew it up regularly.

Opening the double ceiling to throw the cable overhead between PCs is impossible due to tons of pigeon dung of about 120 pigeons having occupied the house before we moved in.

I purchased an "SMC Wireless Router", but that one requires connection of a DSL modem. That solution won't work for me.

I guess there must be wireless routers which replace the Ethernet cable between computers, but don't know their names and brands. (Info is available, but written in Thai only since I'm linked to Thai sites regularly)

I appreciate any help on behalf of my lovely (but lazy) stepdaughter, who I told to roll in the ethernet cable when she has finished internet work, which she did the first day and "forgot" about it later.

Kind regards to all.

Boncuk

G'day Boncuk,
The setup I have here is a IPSTAR sat router ethernet output that goes straight into a linksys WRT54GL wifi router, I've tested the wifi in my shed and at 50 metres away and the signal coming out of a steel framed house and the signal going into a steel shed was still at the max.
Yhose linksys routers are pretty good if you can get your hands on one.

Regards Bryan

You can just buy a cheap wireless router, like the WRT54G (I have this one too), and plug it into one of the ports on your switch. I've found the range to be great. I added a bigger antenna for even more.

Plus, you can run DD-WRT software on it for free which can tune up everything about the router - including the output power. It can go a lot higher than the factory setting!! If you do crank it up, be sure to install a fan, and/or replace the4 heatsink!

You could also buy some conduit for the cables!

Last edited:
Hi Birdman Adam,

I read every word of your post, but living at the end of the world I understood nothing.

Plugging the WRT54G into any port of my switch I'll have to use cables as before as I understand.

I want to avoid cables and establish a wireless network, not only between my and my stepdaughter's computer, but also for my home management computer and a guestroom.

Regards

Boncuk

Plugging the WRT54G into any port of my switch I'll have to use cables as before as I understand.

Unless you have wide area wireless, you'll not get totally away from cable. But if you plug in the wireless router to your switch, you can then cut the wires from the various computers and wireless enabled web appliances to your internet connection, and cut the cable between devices as well. I have a very similar system set up so I can use my laptop along with my internet connection and local network. It works fine.

If your wireless modem has an ethernet connection, you can usually connect the wireless switch or router directly to your modem, using the "uplink" jack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back