Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Homemade PIC Programmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRC

Hello.
After building three different JDM style PIC programmers, I'd like to
hear other poeples experiences with self built programmers and the
software used.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
Gordon

GRC said:
Hello.
After building three different JDM style PIC programmers, I'd like to
hear other poeples experiences with self built programmers and the
software used.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
Gordon
im currently using a self-modified traditional ludipipo pic programmer and it has a very very few component parts and i created already 6 (my friends asked me to build one for them and i have one at home, and one at the company im currently working for as substitute if the Labtool Multiprogrammer is being used by my co-workers ;) ). i use IC prog1.05D.

I have used JDM & RCD programmers (with Ic-Prog), later I built myself ICD2, that's the best programmer you can get. Use the link in previous post (Lothar's design is sweet).

I have built JDM prog (three times)

All failed one way or another.

I got so angry, that I just ordered ICD2 from Thailand.

After confirming that the voltage on my serial port pins can reach +/- 8v, built some sort of JDM programmer. This voltage test is very very important and failure to do so has been the main cause of failure for so many people.

Works first time. No trouble in programming 16F628A, 16F88, 16F87x but failed to even read a 18F4455.

Used it to program a 16F877 and built a ICD2 clone.

Ii've built few PIC programmers. all of them had problems until I decided to try one for LPT (P16PRO). the problem was not my skill, quality of components or that my computers are made out of potatos. problem is that many DIY programmers out there are designed to be cheap or sexy (or both) frequently abusing port for power and driving it out of spec.
by sexy i mean those with low component count like "one resistor programmer, and you can even replace it with your toaster", "no power supply needed", "only two paper clips and a tack" etc.
Just because one RS232 port has +/- 7 or 8V swing without load, it doesn't mean a damn thing when programming takes place and the programmer and programed chip draw power. in fact the problems I mentioned ware not a problem on SOME computers. note that problems ware not always hardware (software is often problem too).

and it is NOT always the power that creates problems, it can be timing too. some programmers are using external RC circuit for delays or use diodes to make logic functions such as AND etc. this maybe works on some computers but not all since diodes have voltage drop and levels are not in spec.

if you are doing it for the first time, if you don't have friend or neighour who has working programmer AND some experience, if you are not able to download, read and understand datasheets, go with something else (basic stamp is good or get a ready programmer).

yes basic stamps and built programmers cost more but remember that cost of progress is always there, you just don't see it every time. if you spend six months trying to figure out pic based led flasher and your girlfriends leaves you, this is cost too... :D

just do your homework, be smart to look for combination of hardware AND software that has little or no problems and go for it.
if your DIY programmer doesn't work, how can you be sure you didn't also fry your only PIC18F, specially if you paid big $$$ for it because that's all you can get from your local store, you don't have credit card to roder online and they don't send samples to your neighbourhood...

be carefull when selecting first time project too. like many others i started with blinking led. while it was simple enough and code simulated ok and burning went without problem and breadboarding it wasn't the problem and the crystal i used was ok, i almost threw out the thing thinking it's still not working. my hand was reaching to rip the wires comming from battery when LED finally changed state. my program was working but the darn crystal was 10x slower than expected (the dot was wiped out).
quickly changed delay in code, redownloaded and it was fine.
i wish i was smarter and used pic to generate something faster to start with, maybe audio signal etc. changing signal is always easier to detect.
maybe few LEDs flashing with different speeds or whatever. nowdays it is easy to get chip that works with RC or even internal oscillator. this makes first steps easier...

panic mode said:
if you are doing it for the first time, if you don't have friend or neighour who has working programmer AND some experience, if you are not able to download, read and understand datasheets, go with something else (basic stamp is good or get a ready programmer).

I just can't agree with you.

Having problems and solving them is how everyone learns. I think building a working programmer should be one of the first projects of the aspiring PIC developer. You get a feel for the PIC "platform", by checking voltages around the programmer's components, understanding the programmer's circuit and what it does.

But it depends on what you are looking for.

Do you want to learn about the PIC? If yes, consider building a programmer.

If you only need a PIC programmed occasionaly, and do not want to be bothered with details, or simply don't want to invest so much time and effort in a system that you might not use often, sure, any off-the-shelf programmer will be a better solution.

Anyway, I am angry that my JDMs failed me.....I wasted so much time trying to debug them (which I eventually succeeded but it failed again later)

True, people learn from mistakes and failures.

i just with my ICD2 would come sooner....

Thailand is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo far away.

MathGeek said:
i just wih my ICD2 would come sooner....

Thailand is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo far away.

You have all the parts but ordered a ready-made PCB, right? Why not build the ICD2 on a solderless breadboard to kill the wait? Just transfer it to the PCB when you get it...

MathGeek said:
Anyway, I am angry that my JDMs failed me.....I wasted so much time trying to debug them (which I eventually succeeded but it failed again later)

BTW, realize that the JDM is one the most, if not the most likely programmer design to fail. There are litterally hundreds of posts on PIC forums about the JDM failing miserably...

The P16PRO, P16PRO40 and all the other Tait variants are way more reliable, at a fraction of the cost of commercial programmers...

Hi Guys
Thank you for your replies. I own and have used the Basic Stamps and
Basic Atom (way better than the Basic Stamp), also use Mbasic to program
my PICs. Reading the posts on this forum made me want to build my own
programmer. Of the three I built so, two far work fairly well. Just don't
quite understand the ICprog software yet. Is it possible to develop code
with this software or is only designed to send to hex code to the PIC?

I find the ICD2 that Joel Rainville and Jay.S mentioned looks awesome.
Will you please explain this a little more. Most of the compenents seem
fairly common. I'll give this one a try also. Thanks for the LINK.

Gordon

MY first programmer was a Tait-style programmer, thereafter I built an ICD1 clone modified with 20MHz oscillator and CCS firmware. Maybe an ICD2 has better chip support, but I just love CCS's programming interface, which allows me to program/start/stop with a click of the mouse, don't have to bother about connecting/disconnecting the power or programming cables for an ICSP circuit. Besides, CCS firmware's chip support is decent.
https://www.ccsinfo.com/icddevices.shtml

ICD2 clone is able to program all new F parts (and also debug them) directly from MPLAB. The HW of ICD2 is way simple, just 16F876/877 with pre-programmed bootloader, some MAX232 for serial com. , power unit and Vpp switching circuit. That's all.

ICprog only sends already compiled hex files to chip

MathGeek said:
is ICD2 going to be obsolete or superplanted by "ICD3" anytime soon?

I have looked for that kind of information on Microchip's website a few days ago, and it doesn't appear to be so.

But even when and if the ICD3 comes out, the ICD2 will still be an incredibly useful tool.

Heck, my serial-only ICD2 is obsolete compared to the USB version, but it works fine for me and I have no need for a faster communication. I might convert it to USB just for the fun of it though ;)

Hi again Guys.
Have all the parts for the ICD2 on Lothar's site minus a few caps. Has anyone built this on a breadboard(solderless board)? How do I go about
putting the bootloader into the 16F876? This project is going to be so
cool. Thanks again for link and your tips.

Gordon

I did it on breadboard before I built PCB for it, worked ok. I used my JDM based programmer to program the bootloader, no problems. My ICD2 is based on Lothar's design (with some modifications) and I must say it is a very simple and useful device.

GRC said:
Hi again Guys.
Have all the parts for the ICD2 on Lothar's site minus a few caps. Has anyone built this on a breadboard(solderless board)? How do I go about
putting the bootloader into the 16F876? This project is going to be so
cool. Thanks again for link and your tips.
Gordon

Mine is still on a solderless breadboard! ;)

I used Lothar's LVP cable to get the bootloader on the 16F876, since my Tait programmer was on my one and only breaboard needed for the ICD2 :D I got 2 now :cool:. This cable did not work on my primary machine though. Some serial ports don't like "no parts" programmers. I had to use an old 486 junk box and put Windows 98 on it. Worked like a charm.

I am gonna put the ICD2 on a proper circuit board. But since I use the ICD2 so much, chances are I will end up building a second one before this one leaves the breadboard :D

If you hit a snag while building it, feel free to post here or even contact me directly. I'm sure I can help since I made all the common mistakes everyone asks about on Lothar's Guestbook! And of course there's Jay here who built one. There's Mike K8LH also, who made a nice modification that you might wanna look into later...

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back