Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

homemade Gauss pistol - pretty interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
The link does not work. It tried it 4-5 times but it always shows "Bandwidth Exceeded". I think it has got more visitors than expected. :)

Is it possible for for admin to post a schematic for the benefit of those who have missed the opporunity to visit this site?
:oops:

I tried the link and it worked for me...

Just a question.... would it be possible to turn something like that into a paintball gun?

yep, i saw it too now!
it is very interesting....
i don't think that you can turn it into a paint gun because it must have magnetic ammo!

Finally got connected!

Strange that no values for muzzle velocity are given

:twisted:

33 Meters Per Second, pretty good, but not killing velocity, a standard pistol fires at about 1000 Meters Per Second.

If they could involve a cyclotron into that it would definatly preform better (Cyclotron hold the round until it reaches maximum velocity and then releases it, sort of a centrifuge with a trap door)

Oops, 1000 feet per second, about 300 Meters, so it's traveling at about 1/10th the speed of an average bullet.

Not great, and not useful, but it's still good.

Well Also it could be improved by using 2 pulses, one in front, then one about a second later to create a pulse that pushes the round, because the current design seems to pull the round which may be the reason it's slow, if they could get the round traveling down the barrel, then create another pulse behind it, or more than one so there is a constant push behind the round, it may improve the velocity.

The heart of the circuit, the "V - switch" configuration is what I found to be most interesting for I have not seen it used anywhere else.
Has Evgenij Vasiljev re-written the coilgunners handbook ? :?

Not really, he just came up with a good idea, I myself have a few designs for a linear accelerator, but due to lack of funding I haven't really been able to work on any of them.

The version I've been thinking about most is a bolt action rifle that launches 1/4" Diameter ball berrings, I just need to save up some money before I can start working on it.

Nostrafus said:
Well Also it could be improved by using 2 pulses, one in front, then one about a second later to create a pulse that pushes the round, because the current design seems to pull the round which may be the reason it's slow, if they could get the round traveling down the barrel, then create another pulse behind it, or more than one so there is a constant push behind the round, it may improve the velocity.

I can think of no way to push (repel) an unmagnetized slug. I think that any improvements would have to involve more pulling (magnetic attraction) unless you change the projectile to a powerful permanent magnet.

I don't mean repel a slug, I mean keeping a pulse behind the slug, so it's pushing it away from the magnet.

Science has proved that pushing is more productive when trying to move an object than pulling an object.

Nostrafus said:
I don't mean repel a slug, I mean keeping a pulse behind the slug, so it's pushing it away from the magnet.

E=MC^2 Please show your working.... :roll:

What makes Evgenij Vasiljev's circuit so interesting is the ability to "switch off" the main capacitor discharge scr when the projectile reaches the centre of the coil.Thus dramaticaly reducing the magnetic field or "suck-back" effect as the projectile passes the center of the coil.

Further pulses into the coil at this point do not assist they hinder as they would just hold the projectile in the middle of the coil.

Ahem, you don't seem to be getting the point of the equation, energy is only defined by the equation, therefore energy can be defined as any variable, or constant for that matter, so long as it has mass in the equation since it's energy is based on it's mass, the speed of light has nothing to do with calculating the potential energy of an object, so E=M^3 is just as right, as E=M, as is E=MC, as is E=MC^3.

Try working it out on paper, the Energy of an object is relative only to the mass of the object.

C^2 only makes the outcome more manageable when it comes to defining energy between two or more object with close mass.

So instead of having an outcome different by a fraction of 1, the outcome is off by several thousand, making it more manageable and easier to define.

Well, aside from that, back to the topic, the use of a V-Switch equivelant is not unheard of.

One in particular piqued my interest, A rifle that uses 10 magnetic coils, set off by optical beams.

When the slug passes through a beam, the magnet in front of it fires, and the coil behind it disengages. So they're always a forward drag, instead of one dragging it from behind. The only problem with this model was that it wasn't man portable, it was something that could be mounted on a tank, but with anti-personel properties.

It's just another way of doing this, that's why I wasn't impressed.

I guess since it's just that I've been researching a gauss weaponry for about 4 years now, and I've seen stuff like this before.

Nostrafus said:
Repel means "to push away". You can't push a slug of ferrous material away from a magnet unless the slug itself is magnetized.

Nostrafus said:
Science has proved that pushing is more productive when trying to move an object than pulling an object.
Can you provide a reference for this statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back