Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

home network blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

OutToLunch

i hope you guys can help me cuz i'm pulling my hair out on this one.

i just swapped around how i had the network in my house wired up. we have satellite internet, so i have to have the satellite modem where the cables come into the house - and that would be in my daughter's room. the way i had the set up previously was this:

satellite modem to a d-link router in my daughter's room. my daughter's computer was tied one of the LAN ethernet jacks on the d-link. a very old wireless router (no wires needed parrot 1100, if you're interested) was also tied into one of the LAN ethernet jacks on the d-link router. i then had my laptop wirelessly connected and my wife's computer in her office was wirelessly connected through a wireless PCI card.

so that worked, but the wireless part was a little flaky - coverage around the house was spotty and i think the wireless card in my wife's computer was hosed cuz it would have signal then not have signal back and forth, etc. she was getting tired of the intermittent connection so it had to be fixed.

this is what i did:
i fished two ethernet cables through the walls and ceiling so that they ran right next to each other and terminated at wall jacks - one set in my daughter's room and one set in my wife's office. I then took the ethernet connection from the satellite modem and plugged it into one of the new wall jacks in my daughter's room. The complementary jack in my wife's office was connected to a new linksys wrt54g wired/wireless router. i then connected my wife's computer to one of the LAN connections on the linksys router (her computer is no longer wireless). I then took one of the three remaining LAN connections on the linksys router and fed it into the second ethernet wall jack in my wife's office. The complementary jack in my daughter's room was then connected to her computer's ethernet jack. This set up allowed both my wife and daughter's computer to be hardwired with a more powerful wireless router located centrally in the house.

With this new set up, my wife's computer is now connected perfectly fine - no problems. I get much better reception on my laptop throughout the house on the wireless link. the problem is with my daughter's computer - it sees that there is a network, it says that it is connected (at 100Mbps), but it will not acquire an IP address from the router. i have not changed a thing on her computer - it connected perfectly fine with the old d-link router (obtains IP address automatically, etc). i also brought home an ethernet cabling tool from work (little doohickey that they use to check for shorts or crossed wires, etc) - i used it to check all the patch cables i was using and then i used it to check all the cabling that i ran through the walls and ceiling - all the wiring tested fine. i also plugged my wife's computer's ethernet cable into all 4 of the linksys LAN connections - no problems there.

what am i missing???

First thought: if you have two or more routers make sure only one is doing DHCP.

Second thought: if they are routing, and not bridging, there may address conflicts - two 'routers' doesn't sound very right, a "router and a switch or bridge" does.

sounds like you have the following:

sat modem to linksys wan port.
linksys lan port 1 to wifes computer.
linksys lan port 2 to daughters computer.
linksys wifi to your wireless laptop.

problem is daughters computer is not working.

I would trouble shoot it this way:
1. take your laptop and turn OFF wifi. Plug it into the ethernet cable in your wifes computer is connected to. - this should work fine. if not - get it working to continue testing.
2. take your laptop and with WIFI still off, plug it to the ethernet cable in daughters room. - does this work?
IF YES - the problem is daughters PC configuration. - check daughters pc for link light (no link - remove and reinsert card - you may have loosened it plugging in and out.) check daughters network configuration - dhcp is configured (not a static ip), adapter is correct and showing up.
IF NO - the problem is your cable - you either misconfigured the pairs or snagged the wire and put a hole.

Sorry, I can't help but when I first looked at this thread title I thought it said home work blues and I was just about to open a can of do your own bloody work. :D

yes - that's how the network is set up right now. I'll try your suggestions, although that cable test tool said the ethernet cable was ok and there were no crossed wires or shorts.

a co-worker suggested that I turn off my wifes computer and try to connect my daughter's computer. he suggested that they both may trying to get the same ip address, which would be wierd cuz both are supposed to be set up for auto ip.

i've actually got her up and running right now with that wireless pci card. i spent a lot of time fishing wire through the walls and in the attic, though, so i'm gonna try to get this one working.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back