Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Home made high speed JTAG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks For Sharing

Yes, I'm very interested. JTAG is my main gig.

Wish they provided more details, and why is it not possible to get a USB device that operates at full speed?

Last edited:
Realy is not bad. The CPLD accept bytes from the FT245 and serialize inside, reach TCK at 24 MHz, and it is NOT BAD!!

Weeks ago I emulate the Open JTAG board using my Altera MaxII development board and the project work fine.
But is better wait for OpenOCD support. Seems that the openjtag team is working on

Realy is not bad. The CPLD accept bytes from the FT245 and serialize inside, reach TCK at 24 MHz, and it is NOT BAD!!

TCK @ 24MHZ for bursts, since the FT245 can't keep up at only 8mbs. Are you using a FT245 dev board like this with your Altera dev board, or is the chip resident on the Altera board?

Last edited:
You are right, must serialize in burst mode. The ideal case is use a FT2232 at full speed, but I think is too expensive. They claims that the half CPLD capacity is free, ideal to find to implementate the SWD mode. Finally, the high TCK speed supported by the major devices is 4/6 MHz.

The MaxII dev board have a FT245 wired to the CPLD. I think that the entire project could be emulated using this board.

The main tip in this project is the move TAP state capability using 1 byte command. In the past, I've been working heavy using the Wiggler JTAG, and for move the TAP state I need 1 byte to high TCK, and another byte to down TCK. The Altera USB Blaster use the Wiggler method yet!!

Yeah, I have the same problem. I wrote my own custom software in MSVC++, and have to use two bytes just to toggle the clock. If I used a CPLD instead of the parallel-2-JTAG cable, I could get away from that, but I couldn't get away from the ultra slow parallel port. I put my system together to be very, very simple, and now I'm interested in reving it up. Since I'm using the Xilinx Spartan 3-E board, which does not have the FT chip, I'd have to use the kit and cable it to my board. I'm considering that, or else using ethernet. But since there is VHDL already written for this project, it might tip the scales towards USB :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back