Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hijack signals from scale lcd

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the next step, amplification, we need to know:
What are the voltages on E+ S+ and S- relative to E- (ground)?
How much does the voltage between S+ and S- change between nothing on the scale and the heaviest object on the scale? You'll need a voltmeter that can read in the millivolts for this.
From this info we can design an amplifier to boost the signal to a 0-5V range suitable for a PIC's ADC input.

I am using a DT830B digital multimeter( I found this out about it - The DT-830B can measure DCV (0,1mV - 1000V), ... ). I moved the selector dial to DCV 2000m, and got the following readings on while touching the the E- wire with one of the probes:-
On zero weight
E+ = 699
S- = 700
S+ = 1492

I got the same results regardless of weight applied. I tried swopping the probes around, but got the same result.

dion.

Is the scale still operational? ie: Does the LCD reading change with different weights while the voltages on the E+ E- S+ and S- leads do not?

Yes, the scale is still operational. But I have noticed that the when one of the probes from the multimeter is touching E- and the other E+, the reading on the LCD does not change, but when it touches either S+ or S-, the value on the LCD does not reflect the weight of the item on the scale.

It sounds like the DT830B is loading the circuit too much. I did a quick search for the specs on that meter and it shows an input impedance of 1MΩ on the VOLTS ranges. Usually digital meters have a higher input impedance (10-30MΩ) and don't load the circuit much. Try measuring between S+ and S-. As long as it doesn't create a measurement error of more than 10% on the LCD, the reading you get should be good enough at this point.

Last edited:
With a weight f 1.499kg on the scale, the reading I get on the LCD(of the scale) is 322g, and the reading on the multimeter is 700 when S+ is connected. This represents an error of > 10%? When I connect S- with the same spec above the reading is 2.6kg. Both seem > 10%. btw what does E&S stand for.

±10% of 1.499kg would mean that the LCD should show between 1.349kg to 1.649kg which it obviously does not.

+E
xcitation
-E
xcitation
+S
ignal
-S
ignal

Last edited:
±10% of 1.499kg would mean that the LCD should show between 1.349kg to 1.649kg which it obviously does not.

+E
xcitation
-E
xcitation
+S
ignal
-S
ignal

Should the reading on the multimeter be within 10% of the reading on the scale's LCD, or within 10% of the changed reading on the LCD once the multimeter probes(leads) touch S- and S+?

The reading on the LCD should not change more than 10% when you put the probes on S- and S+. If it changes appreciably more than 10% then the reading on the multimeter becomes proportionally meaningless due to loading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back