Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HIGH VOLTAGE INDICATOR DIODE

Status
Not open for further replies.

HYDRAHEAD

HELLO,

WE MANUFACTURE HIGH VOLTAGE ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS, FOR 2000V 200 AMP CURRENT.
WOULD LIKE TO ADD A SMALL WIRE FREE LIGHT THAT ACTIVATES WHEN CURRENT IS ON.
IS THERE SOMETHING SIMPLE, OUT THERE, THAT COULD BE INCORPORATED INTO THE BODY OF THE CONNECTOR?
A DIODE PERHAPS.

REGARDS,

HYDRAHEAD

Last edited:
AC or DC current in the connector?

Your post makes very little sense. You seem to be confused about the difference between voltage and current.

Are you asking that an indicator come on when there is a voltage difference between two pins in your connector?

Or are you asking that an indicator come on when there is current flow through a single pin (in isolation from surrounding pins)?

Thank you for responding.

Excuse my confusing question.

Take a look at this site https://petrowiki.org/ESP_surface_motor_controllers

Our product connects the cable from the drive to the pump.

Basically, we run the three phase cable through a internally insulated stainless pipe, 3 inches in diameter with three 1" access ports.

Desire having a small light on exterior that goes on when the circuit is closed and off when not. That the light apparatus, does not physically intrude into the circuit; reason being, techs are required to assemble the unit, and, do not want to add complexity. Simply, wish to install the light in the manufacturing process, and, it works, once assembled; techs never having to deal with it.

It seems that you need three indicators, one each to indicate the presence of voltage line-to-line in the three-phase system. If the purpose is to visually display the integrity of the connection, then showing line voltage a-b, b-c, and c-a makes most sense. Alternatively, you could have a single indicator which shows that Va-c is OK AND Vb-c is OK AND Vc-a is OK, meaning that the indication is not present if any line has a bad connection.

Now the questions are:

What is the min line-to-line voltage that is deemed to be OK?
What is the max line-to-line voltage that will ever occur?
How much space do you have to put the indicators (possibly LEDs?) and the circuit required to make the determination of "OK"?

1. 2000 v
2. 25,000 v spikes supposedly.
3. The three stainless access ports, 1.25" round by 1" thick area, if three lights are used, otherwise, for one light, there is an area of about 1.5" x 1/2" stainless, machined as required. LED, small watch battery to power if needed. The product, usually, runs about 18 months.

Explore the applicability of this :
Very nice. Needs no power!
I tried to make some of these but my cores were too small. I could only get 0.6 volts and that will not light a LED.
So if a 1 inch core is too big then probably all current transformers will not fit.
I like the CT idea and have tried that. My little cores need a amplifier and a power source, which makes thing big again.

Had thought, voltage indicator pens, perhaps could be adapted, using watch battery, but, unfamiliar with the size, and of, the internal components.

voltage indicator pens
The pens may have problems seeing only one wire. If the wires are too close together. (2 wires=hot, 1 wire=broken)
They see voltage not current! Is that OK? If the motor is moved the pins will see voltage not current and will still see the voltage as OK.

I could use three of these. Can't find them.
upload_2017-10-24_18-0-57.png

Have requested info about ZMCT103C 5A/ 5mA Precision Micro Current Transformer Sensor Module

Thank you for the info.

Regards,

Hydrahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back