Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Voltage - Home theatre

Status
Not open for further replies.

senthiljdpm

Hi,

I have a Sony DVD Home threatre system. Over voltage brought my system down and now the unit is not switching on. When i opened the unit, i could see yellow color chip (may be a capacitor) got broken near the power cable.

I have attached here the snapshot of the broken chip in my DVD unit. Could you please help me if i can replace it on my own?

Attachments

• IMG-20160519-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20160519-WA0000.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 111
If you're lucky, it 'might' just be that and the fuse that's blown - however, sourcing the component may be difficult, particularly when you haven't even given the model number of the unit.

There's also a good possibility that there's no circuit or individual spare parts available, and the official solution would be to replace the entire board - but again, with no model I'm just guessing.

Looks like either a MOV or a thermistor, are there any numbers on it?

Have you checked the fuse that is behind it in the photo? If that has blown, the yellow MOV may have failed and gone short circuit, and taken the fuse out. However, the MOV has done its job and protected the expensive bits.

I have seen MOV or similar devices do that, and in doing so, save a lot of expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back