Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High-speed multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfieTats

I have the following assignment and my professor gave us nothing related to this so I have no idea how to do it:

Implement a high speed multiplier which will multiply two 2-bit binary numbers (B1 B0 and C1 C0) using a 16x4 PROM (look up table implementation). List the content of all the memory locations in the PROM and describe the operation.

Hi,

Have you ever worked with a PROM before this?
The address lines can be broken up into two groups, group A and group B. Group A is one input, group B is the other input. The limit of any group is given by the number of bits in that group, but the limit of the two groups is equal to the size of the PROM. With A combinations and B combinations you have all the possible address combinations, so all you have to do is program each location with the correct result for each and every combination.
This means you can program them to add, subtract, multiply, or roughly divide, or even any other operation you can think of which has a bits limit equal to the width of the data output port.

Last edited:
No, first time working with one. I'm trying to properly instruct myself on how they work. Thanks for the reply. I think I'm getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back