Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High speed mechanical switching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky_s

I want to switch on/off a circuit at 1 KHz. I think a classic relay won't be valid.
So I want to know if there is other possibility, mechanical, of switching about 1 Khz.
thanks.

Searching in ebay I have this, but I don't know if this would be the component I want since it's 1.5 GHZ and I think if this is mechanical 1.5 ghz is really high frequency.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
thanks brevor, that is a very good idea and I can get more than 1 khz
but... there is something different to a commutator? I'm really looking to a relay similar mechanism.

How much current would you need to go through the switch? High speed switching means small mechanical mass and that combined with high current is a problem. Why can't you use something like this: https://www.futurlec.com/RelSS.shtml

Last edited:
Searching in ebay I have this, but I don't know if this would be the component I want since it's 1.5 GHZ and I think if this is mechanical 1.5 ghz is really high frequency.

This is an RF switching relay.
It is intended to switch RF signal frequencies up to 1.5Ghz.
It does NOT switch on/off at 1.5Ghz!

A reed relay of some kind may be able switch at 1khz, try googling for Reed Relay.
But how long it would last at 1khz is another question entirely.

JimB

How much current would you need to go through the switch? High speed switching means small mechanical mass and that combined with high current is a problem. Why can't you use something like this: Solid State Relay

Very little, since it's almost electrostatic energy.
I have thought the solid state relay, but I really don't know if that would work. If works that would be a an excellent solution because solid state can switch at very high frequencies.

This is an RF switching relay.
It is intended to switch RF signal frequencies up to 1.5Ghz.
It does NOT switch on/off at 1.5Ghz!

A reed relay of some kind may be able switch at 1khz, try googling for Reed Relay.
But how long it would last at 1khz is another question entirely.

JimB

I didn't know about that kind of relay. Thank you very much!!

Just remember not to confuse RPM with Hz. There is a 60:1 ratio. Commutation may still be still possible, particularly if you have multiple poles, but it will be revolving fast.

John

Last edited:
Reed relays are quite slow.

Some 1940's 50's voltage regulator technology used vibrating contacts, it was common in car voltage regulators and I have seen old military switchmode power supplies using vibrators. Generally a couple hundred Hz is used and even at that low speed the contacts wear out fast and always need to be re-adjusted.

If you explain WHY you need to switch on/off RF freuencies at 1kHz we can surely offer you better solutions...

Well, the O.P. didn't say they wanted to switch RF, only that they found a 1.5GHz RF switch on eBay. My guess is they aren't working with RF at all here.

To the O.P.: Why do you want a mechanical relay? A solid-state relay would probably suit your purposes very nicely.

a motor attached to a cam rod that opens and closes an electrical contact may do the job.

What do you think ??

Last edited:
Very little, since it's almost electrostatic energy.
I have thought the solid state relay, but I really don't know if that would work. If works that would be a an excellent solution because solid state can switch at very high frequencies.
So what's the estimated voltage of this electrostatic energy? To use a solid state relay you need to know that.

Well, the O.P. didn't say they wanted to switch RF, only that they found a 1.5GHz RF switch on eBay. My guess is they aren't working with RF at all here.

To the O.P.: Why do you want a mechanical relay? A solid-state relay would probably suit your purposes very nicely.

Thanks Carbonzit and my apologies to everyone.

However it still appears the OP wants to build some form of mechanical SMPS or regulator and I'm still of the opinion there are MUCH better ways to switch things at 1kHz than mechanical contacts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back