Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High(ish) Voltage Regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKrak

Hey,
I'm building a circuit that is powered off a rectified 3 phase supply (when rectified is about 600V). The control part of the circuit is 5V.

I'm having a few problems figuring out how to easily provide a 5V power source to the control circuit. Normally I would just use a 5V regulator, but normally I have power supplies that are 12V to 24V.

I can't use a transformer (into one of the AC phases) because of tight size and cost restrictions. I thought about using a zener diode in series with a resistor across the 600V load, but the control circuit will probably draw around 100mA and the zener probably won't be able to handle that.

I'm sure somebody out there knows a better way to do this...

For low currents you can use a high voltage, film capacitor in series with the AC power line feeding rectifiers and a shunt regulator. But this will not isolate the circuit from the line so is a hazardous circuit and it must have an interlock so no one can access the circuit while power is applied.

For isolation you must use a transformer.

Hey,
I'm building a circuit that is powered off a rectified 3 phase supply (when rectified is about 600V). The control part of the circuit is 5V.

I'm having a few problems figuring out how to easily provide a 5V power source to the control circuit. Normally I would just use a 5V regulator, but normally I have power supplies that are 12V to 24V.

I can't use a transformer (into one of the AC phases) because of tight size and cost restrictions. I thought about using a zener diode in series with a resistor across the 600V load, but the control circuit will probably draw around 100mA and the zener probably won't be able to handle that.

I'm sure somebody out there knows a better way to do this...

Use a FET as a regulator. A great circuit exists in "The Art Of Electronics"

The art of electronics - Google Books

I actually used a modified version of this circuit (components changed and the OPAMP referenced changed to be a Zener with some high-power/voltage resistors as a burn). I also added a crude close-loop feedback system to ensure tighter regulation of the output 15V (via another zener and a bjt to shunt the main zener)

It had to provide 15V from a "supply" of 30V -> 750V (nominal was 350V).
This works very well. I was pulling ~15mA from it and a TO220 FET was bolted to some aluminium nearby and it experienced a temprise of ~7C settled out after 20min at 600Vdc

For higher power you might want to concider paralleling up the FET's to spread the power disipation between 5 or 6 such devices

Last edited:
If you don't mind dissipating the power, you could also use a power resistor in series with a shunt regulator (yes, a Zener diode to ground makes a shunt regulator). This avoids having to use high voltage transistors.

So how do you plan to dissipate 60 watts of heat with a power resistor in a space smaller than a transformer that has to only handle a .5 watt load?

A 1.5 VA transformer is very small and would easily fit inside a 1.5 inch cubed space. A 60 watt resistor and or heat sink is many times larger than that!

I agree with tcmtech; trying to dissipate 60W in that way is absurd; consider for a moment the amount of heat a 60W lightbulb produces...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back