Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hi, new to electronics, is it possible for me to build my own Faraday cage and counter surveillance equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

This is my very first post on this great forum. I do not have any background in electronics.

I want to know if it'll be possible for me to build my own Faraday cage, what tools and equipment would I need? On the net, people are saying, one would need wood, aluminum mesh or copper mesh. Which of these two is better? Is there a way to verify that the aluminum mesh I receive is really aluminum and not something which is passed off as aluminum. Will it block almost all EMF?

Is it possible for a normal person to build their counter surveillance equipment of the sort shown below?

1. 12 Antenna all frequency jammer:

2. Hidden spy camera viewer at naconwireless.com our-products anti-spy-equipments ?SingleProduct=22

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
want to know if it'll be possible for me to build my own Faraday cage,
Yes if you have sufficient mechanical ability.

what tools and equipment would I need?
General metal working tools, and woodworking tools if you want to make a wooden frame rather than a metal frame.

aluminum mesh or copper mesh. Which of these two is better?
Probably copper, it has a higher conductivity than aluminium, but is more expensive.

Is there a way to verify that the aluminum mesh I receive is really aluminum and not something which is passed off as aluminum.
What material do you think could be passed off as aluminium?

s it possible for a normal person to build their counter surveillance equipment of the sort shown below?
1. 12 Antenna all frequency jammer:
Yes it is possible if you have sufficient knowledge.
But beware, using such a thing is illegal in all civilised countries, and most uncivilised ones as well.

JimB

Is it possible for a normal person to build their counter surveillance equipment of the sort shown below?
I wouldn´t call such a person who feels the need to do that "normal", regardless whether the need is justified or not. If someone really needs counter surveillance equipment then he is not a normal ordinary man, and someone who is paranoid enough to think he needs that is not acting as a normal person.

Yes if you have sufficient mechanical ability.

General metal working tools, and woodworking tools if you want to make a wooden frame rather than a metal frame.

If I go with metal frame, what metal should I use?

Probably copper, it has a higher conductivity than aluminium, but is more expensive.

What material do you think could be passed off as aluminium?

Do you think this copper mesh will suffice?

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Beyondsupply...opper+screen&qid=1556381932&s=gateway&sr=8-29

Suppose I order the above or similar aluminum mesh from Amazon, the seller instead of sending the mesh made out of real aluminum or copper, they might send a bronze mesh or plastic mesh painted with shiny silver paint or shiny brown paint and pass it off aluminum or copper, is/are there any tests I can run on those mesh to verify that it is really aluminum or copper instead of any other material?

Yes it is possible if you have sufficient knowledge.
But beware, using such a thing is illegal in all civilised countries, and most uncivilised ones as well.

JimB

So you think one can build such a jammer with something a person can buy at a regular electronics shop? Where would I find the knowledge and parts for it?

Thanks for your helpful comment.

I wouldn´t call such a person who feels the need to do that "normal", regardless whether the need is justified or not. If someone really needs counter surveillance equipment then he is not a normal ordinary man, and someone who is paranoid enough to think he needs that is not acting as a normal person.

Nice insights into what a normal person is and what non-normal(abnormal) person is? I may have phrased it differently, would you have liked it if I used "average" person or "lay" person, or a "common" person?

There is a steel container full of control gear where I work, I can easily make mobile calls from within it, even with the door closed.
This being the case a spy device using microwave freq's would also work.
The container is about 2mm steel, so you either need to use steel much thicker or something more conductive like ally or copper.
You can use mesh, the size of the holes is depicted by the highest freq you want to block, for phone signals I'd take a guess at 3mm or less holes.
Copper cable is sometimes sold as copper when actually its copper plated ally, you can tell by weight.
If you have no experience of electronics dont try to build a jammer for all frequencies, such a device is a challenge for an experienced engineer.
I'm sure the device you linked us too does what it says, however spy devices can use other freq than phones, to block lower freq signals would require a huge antenna.

Last edited:
Cheap Faraday cage for equipment.

2dOPD3Jl0fRKx0Ucj2Op1MMGBxCgXYQYXZPyD0ctTjio_vTH0ndFLk4_ikFryh1SFzo6IJr0yvJyumDPfBPOFt9BWcbj3y6JOBWNHtWm-XSjfrODu3h2UYNxyiprsAF0bcO9AapSzKdLXyxK5p4ZjYy3rgM3Mj37d46LiT_cQYtoiebRkav03x65uhnffOHmP9VFnzcX046twGHpPlA=s500-pd-e365-rw-pc0xffffff

There is a steel container full of control gear where I work, I can easily make mobile calls from within it, even with the door closed.
This being the case a spy device using microwave freq's would also work.
The container is about 2mm steel, so you either need to use steel much thicker or something more conductive like ally or copper.
I don't think that the issue is the thickness of the metal. It's more likely to be the fact that the doors are only connected in a few places. When you have screened rooms, there sprung brass connectors all around the doors.

I don't think that the issue is the thickness of the metal. It's more likely to be the fact that the doors are only connected in a few places. When you have screened rooms, there sprung brass connectors all around the doors.
Also, all cables in and out of the screened room are filtered to stop RF signals leaking in and out on the power supply cables.

JimB

Last edited:
Thanks for this information.

Just about anything you build at home will not stop government level surveillance on active electronic devices if you are specifically targeted. The best countermeasure, remove that battery and/or unplug it from utility power.

What kind of technology would the government have which would bypass Faraday cage?

That would be telling. COMSEC is a lot more than just EM emissions control, just like computer security is more than secure passwords. A hammer to the kneecap (in extreme cases only) is an effective way to crack systems too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back