Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Hi, first post.

I am trying to build a simple project but i am not the smartest with eletronics.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Project: I need to apply anywhere from 100-140 volts DC to a device. The catch is i need to be able to adjust the "pulsewidth" i am apply it from 2 millsec to as much as 7 millsec, and be able to automatically have it count off 500 or 1000 activations(on-off-on-off and so on).

Not quite sure where to start or what all componets i will need. I have no circuits drawn up for this yet either. So far all i have is this idea in my head.
Thanks

Firstly you are a bit vague with what you want to built.

Secondly if you are not that experienced don't you think that 140 Volts DC is safe to experiment with ?

I would first suggest, try to build something easier with lower and safer voltages instead of going direct to higher voltages which could give you a nasty shock or possibly kill you in the process.

RODALCO said:
Firstly you are a bit vague with what you want to built.

Secondly if you are not that experienced don't you think that 140 Volts DC is safe to experiment with ?

I would first suggest, try to build something easier with lower and safer voltages instead of going direct to higher voltages which could give you a nasty shock or possibly kill you in the process.

Thanks for you warning. I do work with electricity every day. Up to 480 VAC daily so I do take caution. I thought this would be a little hard to explain, sorry.

Maybe this will help. I am trying to build an fuel injector test stand.

This injector runs off a trigger of 110-140vdc to activate. It then operates off of a pulsewidth to keep it "on" to injector fuel. This is the on-off activation i need. But i also need it to count off either 500 or 1000 "fires" or activations so i can measure the amount of fuel that has been used.

Maybe this better explains what i am in need of.

do you already have a DC source to get this 110-140vdc from, or do you need to build that too?

do you already have a method of manually switching the injectors?

I would expect the switching part to be the biggest headache. I've never worked with such high DC voltages and don't know what kind of current you'd be needing either, so I can't really recommend anything in particular, I would expect it would be doable with some form of power transistor.

If you can get the switching to the point where all you have to do is apply a logic-level signal to your switching circuit with the right pulse width, then the rest should be a piece of cake with a microcontroller; generating a pulse between 3-7ms and keeping track of the number of pulses would be very simple.

evandude said:
do you already have a DC source to get this 110-140vdc from, or do you need to build that too?
This is part of the problem too. I am not set up with this yet.

do you already have a method of manually switching the injectors?
No, i really have nothing as of yet except the idea.

If you can get the switching to the point where all you have to do is apply a logic-level signal to your switching circuit with the right pulse width, then the rest should be a piece of cake with a microcontroller; generating a pulse between 3-7ms and keeping track of the number of pulses would be very simple.
This is what i need more info on. Do you have any links to something of this mannor for me to look at?

Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back