1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with power for sous vide circulation pump

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by doomblack, May 18, 2018 at 3:26 AM.

1. doomblack

doomblack New Member

Hi! I built a home sous vide setup for immersion bath cooking of meats in vacuum sealed bags. Built is a bit of an overstatement....I bought a roaster, a thermal probe, a temp controller, and relay and watched my friend wire it up. It works like a champ, BUT...there are cold/hot spots which is not good for exact temp cooking. I suppose that's why the professional models are called immersion CIRCULATORS. Soooo.....I got a submersible pump, good for high temps, and with some tubing that will solve my problem.
    more: chung cư sun láng hạ
    The pump came without a power supply, so I am looking at all my discarded transformers so see what might spec out. The instructions for the pump power supply are:

Specification: Maximum voltage: 12V DC
    Maximum current: 380mA
    Maximum power:5W

That's what is written on the website where I got the pump. Based on that, I have a 5VDC 1A power supply that I figured would not work because of the 1A > 380mA. :-[
    more: giá bán liền kề tasco
    However...the pump itself reads:

Input 2.5DC-12V 0.5-5W with no mention of current restrictions. ???

Do you think I can use the PS I have? If not, what's a good (common?) spec to look for? I have old unused power supplies from networking equipment, power tool chargers, toothbrushes, toys, etc. Something has to work!
    more: chung cư sun láng hạ
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 20, 2018 at 9:49 PM
  2. Pommie

Pommie Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Try it and see. Worst case it won't work. No danger of it burning out as it will only draw the current it needs.

Mike.

3. KMoffett

KMoffett Well-Known Member

At 2.5V 0.5W/2.5V=200mA. At 12V 5W/12V=417mA. As long as you stay a little below 12v you should be fine.

Ken

4. dave miyares

Dave New Member

5. MaxHeadRoom78

MaxHeadRoom78 Well-Known Member

If it is a centrifugal impeller style pump, and you don't need the present maximum flow, you could throttle the outlet down some, and this will lower the pump current.
    Max.

6. crutschow

crutschow Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

As long as the 5V gives you sufficient water circulation, it will be fine.

The 1A supply rating is the maximum it can provide.
    The pump will take only the current it needs.

7. MaxHeadRoom78

MaxHeadRoom78 Well-Known Member

All you need is a 12v secondary transformer and a diode bridge to run the motor.
    Max.

8. dave miyares

Dave New Member

9. tomizett

tomizett Active Member

You might need to make sure the polarity (which wire is + and which is -) correct... otherwise the motor (if it's brushed) may run backwards, or (if it's an electronic brushless motor) you might even damage it.